Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: In general, is there a big difference year to year in commercial outlines/aids?  (Read 1114 times)

Vindigo

• View Profile
Just wondering if any one knows if there is a huge difference between and emanuals or gilberts from 01 and 03? I ask because you can find the 01/02 for about 10 - 15 bucks cheaper? any thougts and replies are ALWAYS appreciated!
best of luck to you all
V

elo

• View Profile
    • Email
It would depend on the area of law and how old your textbook is. If you're reading lots of current cases, then get a current outline. In a more "settled" area (torts, say), you should be fine with one that's a few years old.

Vindigo

• View Profile
I am talking about standard 1l course material: torts, property, civ pro, contracts, criminal law, etc.
the most recent editions of outlines being published in say 2003, I would be looking at outlines published no earlier than 2001

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
I don't think it is a big deal. Someome once asked about using outlines about 10 years old(?) and I wouldn't use those. But 1-2 years won't make much of a difference. The only thing you would be missing are some of the more recent cases that might be important (like the Poletown case in Property, etc.), but if it is that important, your teacher should cover it in class. I use them as a guide for structure for my own outline and to give a better understanding of a specific issue so an outline that was published just 1-2 years ago shouldn't make that much of a difference.

michigan

• View Profile
LawGirl,
I read that you had went to Cooley.  I'm curious to know what Tier one school you transferred to???

I don't think it is a big deal. Someome once asked about using outlines about 10 years old(?) and I wouldn't use those. But 1-2 years won't make much of a difference. The only thing you would be missing are some of the more recent cases that might be important (like the Poletown case in Property, etc.), but if it is that important, your teacher should cover it in class. I use them as a guide for structure for my own outline and to give a better understanding of a specific issue so an outline that was published just 1-2 years ago shouldn't make that much of a difference.

dgatl

commercial outlines = pretty standard in the last few years.  don't waste $$$ buying them new at the store.  i bought most of them off ebay and $$$SAVED$$$