Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Emanuel vs. Gilbert vs. ?????????????  (Read 6647 times)

Vindigo

• View Profile
Emanuel vs. Gilbert vs. ?????????????
« on: October 27, 2004, 09:33:31 PM »
Ok, just wondering if there is anybody out there that could post regarding which line of outlines etc. they prefer and why.  None of us have the time or the moiney top get everything, so any insight that you could provide would, indeed, rock. I would really appreciate any insight that has had the chance to compare a few different lines and why you choose one over the other.  It seems that for outlinbes Gilberts and Emanuel are the big guys, same for the briefs, but I have recently been hearing good stuff about the High court series?
much thanks to all and best of luck in your pursuits.

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
Re: Emanuel vs. Gilbert vs. ?????????????
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 10:03:52 PM »
I don't have time for any study aids, but my Harvard Law grad friend recommends Emmanuel.
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

durban73

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2004, 10:05:11 PM »
I'm using emanuel and legal lines.  both are keyed to my books except for contracts which emanuel isn't keyed to.  I've pretty much given up reading my contracts  case book as legal lines puts everything in clear english.  this probably won't help me on finals, but i don't care much...i'm not worried about getting a job after school.
emanuel is great, but they can be a bit verbose and of course they cover topics our teachers don't always cover.  i think w/ the two books (along w/ a hornbook) i'm teaching myself what my professors want.

Vindigo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2004, 10:09:31 PM »
I was under the impression that for the outlines that both Emanuel and Gilbert were NOT case bnook specific butrather had a a page key inside to tell you which part of the outline corresponds to which part of the case book one might be using.  This is different then how the legalines/canned briefs in general are wholly keyed to a specific casebook, no? am I wrong? Only b/c barrister offers 1st year package deals on the outlines and if they are keyed to specific casebooks how do I know I am getting what I need?

also, JJ, you don't have time for study aids cause you are too busy posting! lol  ;)
just kidding man, I know that you are CRAZY busy from your posts!!!!!
much thanks
best regards

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 10:11:16 PM »
It sounds like you're treating the classes and prof as a formality.  I'm not being critical; I'm just trying to understand.

Is that the case?

V, no offense taken.  I use this site as a distraction too much.  Most of the time it distracts me from my @#%$@#$#%(&^%#@ job, but now it's distracting me from reading torts.

I'm using emanuel and legal lines.  both are keyed to my books except for contracts which emanuel isn't keyed to.  I've pretty much given up reading my contracts  case book as legal lines puts everything in clear english.  this probably won't help me on finals, but i don't care much...i'm not worried about getting a job after school.
emanuel is great, but they can be a bit verbose and of course they cover topics our teachers don't always cover.  i think w/ the two books (along w/ a hornbook) i'm teaching myself what my professors want.
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2004, 10:33:51 AM »
I use gilberts for my torts and contracts class.  It does not follow my case books but provide more of an overview of concepts. 

I refer to it more when I don't understand something or need another prospective on a topic.  Also, they have hypos in the back of the book to help you sharpen up your issue spotting/exam taking skills.

JD_MSA

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2004, 05:01:35 PM »
I like the "Law in a Flash" cards.  They're good for my two-second attention span, and I can grab the cards that pertain to whatever we're working on and stick them in my bag--because one less book to carry around is always a plus. :)

. . . and I really thought they explained the parol evidence rule well. 

footlong

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2005, 08:10:45 PM »
Most people like Emanuel better than Gilbert

duma

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 12:12:18 AM »
I bought them both (for K), and I use them both.

Boxergirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • gpa 3.45/lsat 156
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2005, 12:49:29 AM »
It really depends on the class...I have used a little of all of the major type of outline and case briefing materials.  The biggest thing I want to recommend here aside from Emanuel, Gilbert, etc...is that for the classes that are "linear" in nature (Civ Pro, Contracts, Con Law,...)...I really really like the Crunchtime series, b/c in the beginning of each book are pages of flow charts which completely and accurately guide you through the entire process of the subject (the big picture)...it has been sooo helpful...

Also, I personally really recommend listening to lecture cds as well...such as PMBR...they helped me a lot.