Law School Discussion

Emanuel vs. Gilbert vs. ?????????????

Re: Emanuel vs. Gilbert vs. ?????????????
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2005, 08:34:59 AM »
Emanuel - I have used them for almost every subject so far.  Very good review questions and exam tips.

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2005, 05:17:48 PM »
I use Legalines for the case briefs, they have comments on the black letter law as well; Casenotes series are not bad, but kinda too long for a brief to be really a brief ... I guess Casenotes would be your first choice if you'd not use the assigned textbook at all 

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2005, 06:59:02 PM »
Oh yeah, I remember it so well when I asked an L2 student about outlines, case summaries and the like ... I will never forget the embarrasment I was found myself into when he began to make fun of me upon telling him that I didn't have time to brief all cases assigned for class -- I did not know back then that you need not read cases! I was young and stupid!

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2005, 02:25:08 PM »
You still need some kind of case briefs ... at least canned ones, in case you do not brief them yourself. That way you'd avoid the embarrassment of being put down by your teacher.

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2005, 02:29:17 AM »
HI,everbody.I am a foreigner new comer.I do not kown  Emanuel and Gilbert which you talked about.does anybody can tell me ?thanks !

Jude

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2005, 12:14:59 AM »
I guess Casenotes would be your first choice if you'd not use the assigned textbook at all

I buy the assigned textbook but I keep it completely clean to be able to sell it at the end of the semester. I bring the textbook to class every day for the pro f to see it with my other things.

jdohno

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2005, 07:02:53 PM »
I disagree. I think it's the other way around. I use Gilberts. I don't like Emmanuels. The Gilberts property outline is so good that I stop using my casebook for a while. Also the Gilberts Torts and Contracts are very good. Forget about that thing about commerical outlines being geared to your casebooks. It's just a matter of reading the table of contents of your casebooks and the personal outline and looking up what section you are covering in class. It's not hard to do at all. Gilberts was only keyed to my property casebook and not my other casebooks and I did fine. It's more important that your canned briefs are keyed to your casebooks not the commerical outlines.

Most people like Emanuel better than Gilbert

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2005, 12:20:42 PM »
I disagree. I think it's the other way around. I use Gilberts. I don't like Emmanuels. The Gilberts property outline is so good that I stop using my casebook for a while. Also the Gilberts Torts and Contracts are very good. Forget about that thing about commerical outlines being geared to your casebooks. It's just a matter of reading the table of contents of your casebooks and the personal outline and looking up what section you are covering in class. It's not hard to do at all. Gilberts was only keyed to my property casebook and not my other casebooks and I did fine. It's more important that your canned briefs are keyed to your casebooks not the commerical outlines.

Thanks for the tip jdohno.  So, are legalines an example of canned briefs that are keyed to casebooks?  thanks!  ;D

jdohno

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2005, 07:42:09 PM »
Some Legallines are. For my canned briefs, I used a mixture of Casenotes and my fav, High Court Summaries. The High Court Summaries are pretty good for the Yeazell Civ Pro casebook.

Quote from: Sweet2th link=topic=959.msg13690#msg13690

Thanks for the tip jdohno.  So, are legalines an example of canned briefs that are keyed to casebooks?  thanks!  ;D
[quote

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2005, 12:07:37 AM »
Many people in my classes are not at all discreet when reading canned briefs from the actual Legalines or Casenote series. They do not sound nice when doing that. But teachers do not make a big thing outta it.