Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Crunch Time  (Read 2733 times)

BTMead

• View Profile
    • Email
Crunch Time
« on: October 25, 2004, 12:55:15 PM »
I am a first year law student and while I have briefed all of the assigned cases via hilighters, I have not yet begun my outlines.  I typically spend 3-4 hours a day on course work.  I feel like I should be getting ready for exams in the near future.  When should I begin outlining?  Does anyone have any other advice?  Thanks for the help.

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
Re: Crunch Time
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 01:24:06 PM »
Many suggest you start early and update each week.
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

DuckHunter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 03:06:53 PM »
Don't stress BT, you are now, and have in the past been, in great company.  I myself waited until the Thanksgiving holiday to start outlining and I can not honestly think of anyone that I associated with that actually put a valid effort into outlining before then (just not enough time).  After reading your post I got curious as to whether starting late is the norm or if I just hung around slcakers, so I asked around my firm and this is how it stacked up.  Out of 32 people asked 27 waited until a month or less before finals...2 started 2 weeks into the semester...1 started midway...and 2 used commercial outlines (scary prospect, wouldn't reccommend that).  The general answer as to why they started late was either lack of time or that they wanted to wait until they had as much info as possible.  I'm sure you have noticed how the case you read last week got trumped by the one you read this week.  Sometimes the last few weeks of class are what actually bring it all together for most people.  I attended a top 10 school and am far from brilliant so I am certain that I did not pass my finals due to sheer genius.  So, I would advise that you start when you think you can afford to take the time away from briefing, writing, researching, attending class, eating, and sleeping.  If you have to wait until November don't stress it.  Just get it done about a week before finals and study.  Believe me, it will all come together and seem pretty damn simple...unfortunately that doesn't seem to happen for most people until the last few weeks of the semester.

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 03:24:11 PM »
Duckhunter, if you keep this up, law school will seem almost easy.  We are law students.  We must obsess over outlines!   :D

DOWNY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 12:27:00 AM »
Don't even bother outlining. Just go to the bar a lot and bang some hookers. That's when the real legal analysis comes together. Right Gruber???

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 12:04:09 PM »
I'm using storelaw for briefing.  I should have been and am going to know put class notes in there, too.  From what I understand, all I need to do after that is to let the software spit out the outline.  It looks like it will work.  We'll find out as I put together my crimes outline.  The final is Nov. 4.  That's two days after the presidential final exam.

Boxergirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • gpa 3.45/lsat 156
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2004, 05:25:55 PM »
buddy,...if you haven't started outlining by now...you're screwed.

DOWNY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2004, 07:57:17 PM »
Big time screwed.

dgatl

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2004, 08:41:02 PM »
buddy,...if you haven't started outlining by now...you're f**cked.

I agree.

Big time f**cked.

I agree again.

It takes a @#!* load of time.  You needed to have started a month ago.  Next semester, start outlining from day 1.

DOWNY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2004, 08:51:42 PM »
Your best bet now is to just kill yourself, or transfer to Cooley, which is basically the same thing. Either way you have no future and are totally screwed in every possible way. There is no hope.

HTH