Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can a LLM offset a low ranked JD school  (Read 3556 times)

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
Can a LLM offset a low ranked JD school
« on: October 24, 2004, 11:31:19 PM »
Just say I end up graduating from my TTT for whatever the reason I can't transfer out.  Would getting a LLM at a better school offset the stigma of a JD at a lower ranked school? 

(What is a LLM for, if you get a JD in the United States?  I believe most LLM students are people that have a foreign law degree and are trying to practice in the US.)

dgatl

Re: Can a LLM offset a low ranked JD school
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 09:20:42 PM »
i've seen alot of people who have a JD for a T.T.T. go on to get an LLM from NYU in taxation and work biglaw in NY.  I think the LLM for taxation and IP are generally used to further your own career or offset a T.T.T.  It seems to me that other LLM candidates are usually international students trying to get a degree that they can practice law in the US with.  Then again, I have a girl in my class who has an LLM from a law school in Brazil and is now going back for her JD to practice here.

DOWNY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 01:32:18 AM »
offset a T.T.T. 

That may be the funniest phrase I have ever heard.

kuman99

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 01:42:39 AM »
Yes.  That is the short anwer.  But as a lawyer you should the know world is gernally more complex than that.  Many things "can" do things for you.  Will it substantially help, sometimes. Not much help, eh?  But your question was very open ended.