Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Based on my posts, do you feel like I'm bragging, or trying to "stroke my ego"?

Yes
 9 (37.5%)
No
 15 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Citation manual  (Read 919 times)

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
Citation manual
« on: October 20, 2004, 11:19:22 PM »
My school uses the AWLD citation manual but it seems like the majority uses Blue book. 

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
Re: Citation manual
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 02:56:53 PM »
The ALWD is trying to make their system the new standard, so they're teaching it to law students.  Like most things in law, change is very slow.  I had to learn the ALWD my first year of law school but immediatly had to unlearn it and switch to the Bluebook for journal work.  I used the Bluebook for all my papers in law school (after first year).  Most of the lawyers I've talked to have never heard of the ALWD.

Even if your school uses the ALWD, it's probably not a bad idea to start getting to know the Bluebook as well.  There are some differences.

dgatl

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2004, 05:00:40 PM »
as someone slaving away on a memo about entrapment, i would officially like to say:

@#!* YOU, ALWD

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 08:13:41 PM »
as someone slaving away on a memo about entrapment, i would officially like to say:

From what I've read/heard you wouldn't like the Blue Book any more than ALWD
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

dgatl

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2004, 09:51:38 PM »
i just wish ALWD was easier to use.  I wasted time today trying to figure out whether the subsequent history (like cert. denied, etc) was important enough to include or not based upon what it said.  So then I decided to look up another case with three elements of an entrapment defense.

Anyway, time for torts.  10PM saturday night, i'm studying.  I must be a 1L trying to make top 10%...

Yep, I am.

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2004, 10:00:51 PM »
More power to ya.

i just wish ALWD was easier to use.  I wasted time today trying to figure out whether the subsequent history (like cert. denied, etc) was important enough to include or not based upon what it said.  So then I decided to look up another case with three elements of an entrapment defense.

Anyway, time for torts.  10PM saturday night, i'm studying.  I must be a 1L trying to make top 10%...

Yep, I am.
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +