Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: simple tip I started using  (Read 1456 times)

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
simple tip I started using
« on: October 20, 2004, 11:56:50 AM »
Ok, this is pretty elementary and people will probably say, that's so dumb, but it makes my life easier so I decided to share.

I'm always on the run, especially since I work full time and go part time night.  For example, I like to go to the gym and study, but I found it so hard to carry all big case books around and read while doing my cardio or weight lifting. Or if I go out to lunch and want to study while eating a burger, I hated having to carry around the books. So what I do now is, keep all my case books at my work, and xerox what I need for the week ahead.  Then only have to carry the xerox pages so it makes studying on the run easier and also it's less stress on my back.  The only negative is I have to spend 15 minutes xeroxing the pages but I think it's worth the inconvinience of lugging the books around, and back pain. 

edythec

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: simple tip I started using
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 02:15:55 PM »
Good Idea!  I do the same thing, sort of.  We have to study a lot of actual cases.  So I print them out for several weeks ahead, and carry the folder and my highlighters at all times.
"Ever notice that 'What the hell' is always the right decision?" - Marilyn Monroe

dgatl

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 06:07:40 PM »
if you have access to Lexis or Westlaw, you can download each case and just look at them on your laptop at your convenience.  i don't do that except for Civ Pro, because we usually only have 1 case or 2 to read versus the 5 or 6 for the other classes in any given night

Andrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I just think the thing should work properly."
    • View Profile
    • Andrew Sinclair
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 03:02:34 PM »
There was a student in my class that used to cut the pages out of her book and keep the latest cases in a binder.  Another student had his girlfriend re-bind large books into two smaller volumes (I guess she was into book binding).  I've heard of people scanning books into their laptop to solve this problem too.  All are good ideas.

The problem with the Westlaw method is that many of the casebook cases are edited down to skip the tedious, unimportant parts.  You can end up reading a lot more and focusing on the wrong issues.  The professors usually use a case to show one or two issues, but real cases can sometimes have several (ie a Civ Pro issue in one part of the case and a Contract issue in another).

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 03:29:51 PM »
I thought of this because the xeroxing is sort of tedious, but then my cheapness set in because I couldn't sell the book later...

There was a student in my class that used to cut the pages out of her book and keep the latest cases in a binder. 

JD_MSA

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004, 11:47:15 AM »
A guy in my class does this, and I envy him because he doesn't have to lug stuff around, but I don't have any outlet for making free copies, damn it.   :)