Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Grading Curve Question  (Read 11233 times)

maney

• View Profile
Re: Grading Curve Question
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2005, 08:50:29 PM »
A 50% median on a required course set at, say, 2.6, does not mean that the 50% student on the overall curve will have a GPA like 2.6 - 2.7. At all!

Oh yeah?!

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2005, 07:54:43 AM »
Schools with good reputations get to have higher curves - more A's and B's and less Cs.  At my school, most students get B's and B+'s.  Getting a B- is the equivalent of getting a C or D at some other school. 
One professor (who teaches at three other schools) complained that our curve is too generous; some students have complained that it's too harsh.  It's really neither - it's really how your GPA compares overall to the school.
We don't get actual class rankings, though - just approximate percentile benchmarks.  Thus we have to write in a resume (for example):
GPA = 3.44 (approximate top 25% = 3.39). 
I hate that we have to make it unclear on our resume, but that's the friggin rule.

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2005, 10:17:54 AM »
We have ties at our school.  There were two no. "3's" and three no. "25's".  No "4" or "26" or "27".

labamba

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2005, 11:42:47 PM »

A professor of mine told us from the very first day that we're not supposed to go after the exam to complain to him about grades or tell him law school grading is subjective -- of course, he said, it is subjective! If you want objectivity, go to engineering, he boldly (and stupidly) told us!

He must be a loose cannon!

THE HOSTESS

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2005, 04:50:24 AM »
And he could also be suspended, lambada, if students would actually file a complaint against him for his grading practices!

_/

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2005, 06:31:57 AM »
I've heard a horror story where a professor was beaten up by a couple of disgruntled students who were told their exams were missing and were given Fs.

dontaskdontell

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2005, 02:44:41 PM »
I've heard a horror story where a professor was beaten up by a couple of disgruntled students who were told their exams were missing and were given Fs.

Why is that a horror story?!

katrina

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2005, 04:47:56 PM »
I am assuming they were utilizing masks or something else making their faces unrecognizable to the professor ...
We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office

sandokan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2005, 04:12:30 AM »
This 'Grading Curve Question' thread is kinda strange, to say the least!

gusrip98

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2005, 08:10:33 AM »

Why is that a horror story?!

Did they wear masks and shirts with their test number on it so he would know which exam it was? LMAO
"Never stole a horse from someone I didn't like"