Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Who is going to apply for this year ?  (Read 5264 times)

Rey

• View Profile
Who is going to apply for this year ?
« on: October 02, 2004, 09:35:07 AM »
I am going to apply this year (2004) to several US law Schools : Harvard, Stanford, NYU, Columbia and Berkeley.

Is there somebody out there with the same idea who is willing to talk about it ?

I am an IP lawyer with 2 years of experience in Belgium. I was about top 5 to 10 % of my class and I already have a LLM in IP law from a Belgian Uninversity (magna cum laude).

Could any body quickly assess my chances to get into one of these 5 universities ?

Thanks !

Rey

• View Profile
Re: Who is goint to apply for this year ?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2004, 02:25:19 PM »
Please do not hesitate to register (it takes two seconds) to answer my question or to discuss the topic !

I saw that 23 people have read this message but no reply !

This is supposed to be a forum, thanx !

aponus

• AOL Instant Messenger - katakolon7
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 05:53:29 AM »
I would like to apply next year.
I think you have a LL.M. and some University in the USA don't accept students having a LL.M. before.
What is IP?
aponus

Violetta

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004, 09:35:08 PM »
Hi, I'm not going to apply this year as I have not  yet passed LSAT but I guess my situation is simular to yours. I have Masters in Business Law from Russia and 12 years of practice there. As I understood from Canadian law school site, we can apply for LLM without passing LSAT but upon graduation, we are not allowed to the Bar and law practice. I believe, the same rule works for USA may be exept Luisiana which has non-common law system like European countries do.
This doesn't have sense for me. Thus, I'm not going to apply for LLM in North America and most likely will go for JD if my LSAT score is high enough to be accepted in a top school.

aponus

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2004, 09:18:13 AM »
But what is the ELSAT? Have you got a degree a law degree?
aponus

Violetta

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2004, 03:48:39 PM »
You are funny:-) How could I practice business law without degree in law?:-) Of course, I have 5 years in Russian law school and diploma in law.
LSAT is a special test everyone should take before applying to any Noth American law school.

nuhusky

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2004, 06:06:05 PM »
violetta, no offense but after reading your first post you may want to bone up on your english skills. The LSAT is a hard enough test for fluent english speakers, I would not want to tackle that beast if my English was sub-par.

Violetta

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2004, 08:20:13 PM »
Right, English is an issue:-( Any way, taking into consideration that LSAT doesn't test writing skills only, there is a chance:-).Honestly, I'm not very much concerned about LSAT as I may apply as a mature student with highest marks from my Russian law institution and excelent references from the Bar, international corporate clients and my teachers. Besides, it  will be neither Harward nor Collumbia University:-) Canada is the country of immigrants:-)

aponus

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2004, 05:58:05 AM »
Where could I find something more about LSAT?
aponus

Violetta

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2004, 10:09:56 AM »