Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1st exam in law school  (Read 1478 times)

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
1st exam in law school
« on: October 01, 2004, 02:26:08 PM »
I have a torts midterm next week and I am very nervous since it's my first one. 

It reminds me of the LSAT before I took it.  I couldn't sleep, you think you never did enough practice tests, and you are always scared that you missed something.

It's only on intentional torts and the defenses so it's not that hard in regard to material. 

Anyone else going through 1st exam jitters or it's just me
:(

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
Re: 1st exam in law school
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2004, 02:52:56 PM »
I recently went through it for criminal law.  One minute I was panicking and the next I was telling myself to put it in perspective.   ;)
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2004, 02:56:33 PM »
how did you do?  did you take it on examsoft? 

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2004, 02:58:31 PM »
Our school is out of the ordinary.  No computer tests.  In fact, most are not even essay tests.  Our profs are all practicing lawyers or judges, so they don't want to spend a lot of time reading essays.  Multiple choice, etc.
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

dgatl

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2004, 02:12:46 AM »
we have a practice, ungraded midterm in contracts in two weeks.  i'm doing LEEWS next weekend.  hope it works for the best...

dtonsing

• Dennis J. Tonsing
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2004, 07:20:29 AM »
As exams approach, the stress builds. The best way to combat this unavoidable anxiety is to prepare to the max.  How?  Visit an area of my website (www.dennistonsing.com) entitled “Frequently Asked Questions” (FAQ's button on left side) then click on “What Professors Look for in Exams.”  That link will take you to several pages of expert advice from law professors around the country on how to prepare.  (Note: if you are preparing for a multiple-choice examination, click on the box entitled “Studying for Multiple-Choice Exams.”)

One noted expert from DePaul, Dean Cathaleen A. Roach, writes, “With regard to properly preparing for exams, many of my students report that flow charting is the single most useful learning strategy they learned in the academic support program.” Cathaleen A. Roach, A River Runs Through It, 36 Ariz. L. Rev. 667, 691 (1994).  I heartily agree with Dean Roach – properly constructed flow charts are roadmaps for exam answers.  For more on flow charting, when you get to that FAQ page, click on “Flow Charts.”

Of course, preparation for exams begins on day one of law school.  As I write this post, you are not yet half-way through the first semester . . . this gives you ample time to prepare day-by-day and week-by-week for each end-of-the-semester examination.  If you are bedevilled by significant anxiety about practice tests and mid-terms now, you can imagine how much more stress you will feel by the end of November.  Be proactive:  alter or augment your study routine now, to combat the anxiety.  That’s important – too much anxiety can significantly impact a student’s performance on an examination. 

The best way to enter an exam room is with well-earned self-assurance that you have prepared as much as you can, and that you will perform at your “personal best” level during the exam period.  Isn’t that what you intend to do as a lawyer – prepare for every event (trial, appellate argument, board meeting, deposition, etc.) so that you will represent your client at your highest level of competency?  Well, this semester, YOU are your client. Consider “practicing” (now) to be the kind of lawyer you intend to be. 

Send me an e-mail if you have any questions.

Dean of Students
Academic Support Program Director
Roger Williams University School of Law
Bristol, RI
Recent Publication: "1000 Days to the Bar -- But the Practice of Law Begins Now" (Wm. S. Hein & Co., Inc., 2003)

JD_MSA

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2004, 10:10:27 AM »
Well that post is hard to follow, but here's some more advice from me (a 2L):

If you are taking your exams with ExamSoft, practice typing your answers in ExamSoft.  They have a practice test feature.  That way on the day of the actual exam you will be familiar with how ExamSoft works, the screen layout, and how to save your work at the end. 

Practice typing actual answers.  Don't just look at practice questions and outline what you would say.  Write your practice answers just as if you are turning them in. 

CALI (http://www.cali.org) has some good intentional tort exercises if you have access to that. 

Take a deep breath before you read the exam question.  Read it at least once without pause, and then go back and begin issue spotting.  I like to take a highlighter to the exam to highlight parts of the question. 

I hope this helps!  Just remember, everybody is nervous, even those people who look calm. 

Good luck!

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2004, 09:00:54 AM »
One of the hardest things to take.  It was only 1 hour and I swear I think there was like 12 issues...

Examsoft made is easier to get everything in.  I think I got most of them but the trade off was lack of explanation due to so many issues. 

I'll let you know.