;

Author Topic: LEEWS  (Read 5897 times)

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
Re: LEEWS
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2004, 03:40:55 PM »
Just talked to the wife.  LEEWS CDs have arrived in the mail today.  Hopefully, I'll have some time this weekend to start on the book.  I sure hope this helps.
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

DOWNY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2004, 09:42:18 PM »
Is anyone using this now?  Is this just for exam prep or general studying?

Are you happy with it?  I'm thinking of waiting to buy the CD version in October, which means I'll be paying full price.  Is it worth $145?

It's TTT don't waste your money HTH

freshstart

• LSAT: 156, UGPA: 4.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2004, 12:57:51 PM »
jeffjoe, or anyone else who has gotten or used LEEWS:

I am thinking about ordering this system, even though I know it is late in the game.  How helpful is it (or does it appear to be)?  How much does it add to the info in "Getting to Maybe"?  We have a copy of LEEWS in our library, but it is 15 years old.  Does anyone know if there are any significant changes with the new editions?

I would really appreciate any feedback on this.

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2004, 01:57:15 PM »
From the little I've read, it's not too late.  It deals primarily with taking essay exams. 

I am thinking about ordering this system, even though I know it is late in the game.  How helpful is it (or does it appear to be)?  How much does it add to the info in "Getting to Maybe"?  We have a copy of LEEWS in our library, but it is 15 years old.  Does anyone know if there are any significant changes with the new editions?

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2004, 06:52:44 PM »

I did the Leews live course in October. My guess is the standard idea behind the program is probably pretty similar to what it was in an older version.

What I thought the biggest help, as I start preparing for the first round of exams, was having a strategy for pinpointing and addressing the issues in an essay-type question.

There are some things in there about study skills, and such, but probably most of the benefit is on the exam side.

freshstart

• LSAT: 156, UGPA: 4.0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2004, 05:32:11 PM »
Thanks for the input.  I decided to bite the bullet and order a new CD edition.  I plan to finish my outlines this week, so I hope to have time to do practice exams/LEEWS next week.  My first exam is 12/1!

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2004, 10:13:16 AM »
Kick some exam ass, eh?

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2005, 03:43:28 PM »
I've finished the primer in preparation for my contracts exam on Monday. 

I can boil down what I learned into a few sentences, but I may have missed something.

1) Start with the definition of the law
2) No matter what the questions are the profs only want one thing.  for you to discuss the issues involved in the hypo.
3) Write an outline yourself that is concise.  It should consist of things that trigger memories of the fuller definitions and concepts.

There are some more things, but that says it for me.  I don't think I needed to spend 145.00 to find that out.

Coregram

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2005, 08:26:28 PM »
I've finished the primer in preparation for my contracts exam on Monday. 

I can boil down what I learned into a few sentences, but I may have missed something.

1) Start with the definition of the law
2) No matter what the questions are the profs only want one thing.  for you to discuss the issues involved in the hypo.
3) Write an outline yourself that is concise.  It should consist of things that trigger memories of the fuller definitions and concepts.

There are some more things, but that says it for me.  I don't think I needed to spend 145.00 to find that out.

I think you have missed some of the main points.  Look at Chapters 4 and 6 again.

The main point of the LEEWS approach is to set-up the conflict pairs (including the inferred parties) and indentify the "premises" that each side in the pair would use to advance their case.  Your outline helps you identify the premises.  That is the key to issue spotting.  Then you move into what the law is and applying it to the facts.

Everyone will tell you to spot issues in an exam.  But LEEWS actually gives you an approach as to how to spot them in a much easier to understand manner than "Getting to Maybe"

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2005, 08:32:27 PM »
I read that.  I also read about how it takes lots of practice and so on.  I played with it some.  I found that method distracting.  But perhaps the problem is with me and not LEEWS.  I've had a number of people recommend it highly.

After taking my contracts mid-term I felt that I was able to spot the issues easily.  Then again, I haven't gotten a grade yet and I could be completely wrong.   :D