Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why I chose NSL  (Read 22001 times)

Dicta

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life Is Good
    • View Profile
Why I chose NSL
« on: September 21, 2004, 10:58:12 PM »
After all the criticism our great school has received (mostly from ignorance, it would seem), I have decided to go on record as to why I chose NSL.
But first I wanted to address some of our critics.
I don't understand why so many people in this forum read the posts for this school and feel the need to criticize us.....
I don't understand why we are second best if we don't want to pay $125-$150K to go to law school.
To practice law you have to pass the state bar, that's it. Notice I said "to practice law" not "to rake in tons of money". I thought greed went out in the 80s but it seems most of the folks on this board were toddlers then. Perhaps there has been a resurgence in greed I did not know about.
If you want to practice TENNESSEE law you have to pass the TENNESSEE bar. That is what NSL is preparing us to do. NSL educates Tennesseans who want to practice law in Tennessee. NSL educates older, mature students who know the real world and don't want to waste hours on what I call "mental masturbation"--some would call it "naval gazing". I don't need a bunch of theory, I got plenty of that in graduate school. I want to learn how to practice law in TENNESSEE and be the best I can be.
One of my professors works for the Tennessee Supreme Court. His prior legal experience is quite diverse and he is highly respected.
One of my professors is an Appellate Judge for the Criminal Court in Tennessee. Talk about reality!
I think the coursework is very interesting and challenging. I enjoy going to school. I do care. I know that what you invest in your career you will reap.
I don't want to work in M&A on Wall Street. I don't want to defend Enron or Phillip Morris. I don't want to keep some greedy corporation from paying their fair share. That said, I'm really not looking to save the world either.
My main motivation is to earn a good living doing something I enjoy on my terms. I've lived in Nashville all my life, but I have also been around the world. I CHOOSE to live here and practice law here. Tennessee is a fine place.
I don't want to be a partner is some McFirm. I want to work for a small practice or do research for a court. Or even one day just work for myself in General Practice.
Most of my friends who went to law school right out of college and are now practicing wish they had considered a school like NSL. They are also still paying their student loans. I am 38 and ready to start a new phase of my career which will be challenging but also allow me to see my children and be involved in their lives.
I had lunch 2 weeks ago with a friend of my Mom's who has been a practicing attorney for 30 years. She graduated from Vanderbilt and worked in the district attorney's office and then went on to litigate for the National Labor Relations board. She told me I was smart to go to NSL and not consider a "university" type law degree. She told me I would be competitive here in Nashville  and that NSL is highly respected and well thought of......
These are the things that matter to me and this is why I chose NSL.
I'm really tired of listening to the musings of bored, apathetic students who understand absolutely nothing of what they are condemning.
Okay, I'm off the soap box now.
PS: I will not respond to any negative comments, don't waste your time.
Until you go too far, you will never know how far you can go.
TS Eliot (poorly paraphrased by myself)

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
Re: Why I chose NSL
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 11:34:07 PM »
Yeah, what she said!  8)
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

lawgroupie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 12:14:50 AM »
Wasn't there just mainly one critic, the alleged Vandy1L?

Dicta

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life Is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2004, 12:37:00 AM »
No, I've seen lots of other snide remarks, particularly to JJ, that chop NSL for being "non ABA accredited".
I guess everyone is looking for some way to feel better about themselves. I thought we got over that in high school! I know I'm over it! ::)

steviej

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 01:09:58 AM »
BRAVO!

Jeff Kovalski

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2004, 04:36:49 PM »
Since I work in law, I'm surrounded by, and talk to, dozens and dozens of lawyers all the time.  And without fail, every single one I've spoken with here in Chattanooga and N. Georgia think NSL is a great school.  There are many, many pre-eminent lawyers across this state who've gone there.  And many uptight pricks who've gone to Vandy I might add. If you want to work in a stuffy corporate firm 75 hours a week trying to make partner, by all means go to Vandy or UT, but if not, a school like NSL is as good as any.  Better, actually, if you're going to practice TN law b/c of the school's focus.

So there!   ;D

Dicta

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life Is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2004, 04:52:33 PM »
I thought the same! I'm glad someone else agrees. I am so tired of being criticized by people who know absolutely nothing about our school.
I have finally mustered some self-restraint and will not feed the trolls!
Susan  :D

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2004, 05:26:47 PM »
And let us remember that no one asked the troll to come to NSL and I seriously doubt we would want him/her.
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

Dicta

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life Is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2004, 05:34:20 PM »
Yes, Vandy 1L would make a most troublesome classmate.  :P

dgatl

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2004, 12:51:42 AM »
Hi, I think its great you're going to NSL.  You are pursuing your dream, and don't let idiots like Vandy1L get you down.  However, please don't think that those of us trying to go to biglaw in NY or DC are greedy.  Money is a powerful thing, but not a single of one my classmates is only concerned with money.  MOst of us are still trying to figure out what we want to do with our career, and a start at biglaw will open numerous doors and expose us to various practice areas.  And the $$$ will help us pay off our debt.

That's my piece.