Law School Discussion

PLS Method Users

PLS Method Users
« on: September 20, 2004, 11:31:17 AM »
How's it going for you?  Is it working?

What aspects of the program are you implementing so far?

Likes, dislikes?

I ask because I am familiar with the method and have been trying to implement it into my schedule.

jeffjoe

• ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
Re: PLS Method Users
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 11:36:27 AM »
I read the first 100+ pages of PLS II before deciding to sell it.

Everything PLS said about law school has been wrong from my experience.  Nothing he said holds for my school.

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 11:53:34 AM »
because PLS was written for people attending real law schools, not Mickey Mouse feel good schools.

I've implemented his highlighting techniques and reading schedule; both seem to be working well so far as I have a solid grasp of the material we've covered. Obviously, I can't really know how effective it was until we get grades back.

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 11:58:36 AM »
Would I like to talk about the highlighting method and reading schedule? Sure. Any particular questions?

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 12:14:21 PM »
I've offered to post emails that only go out to Vandy students. Your argument is getting old.

jeffjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2004, 12:40:44 PM »
But seriously, I am interested in hearing how this is working for others.  It did not make sense for me to use it, and my experience as a five-week old law student has confirmed that.  This may not be true for everyone, because I'm a night student at a non-ABA school.

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2004, 09:54:22 PM »
I've read a good part of PLS; the first sixteen chapters anyway and skimmed most of the rest.  I've also read Law School Confidential and a few other "Intro to Law School Books."  Here's my thoughts after my first 6 weeks at law school:

1.  I don't agree with everything AF says and haven't found my school to be as bad as he leads you to believe.  But based on some posts here and at other sites, some schools or profs are as bad as he says. I think he is coming from the point that schools (some anyway) owe the students more in eduating them than they give them. 
2.  His ideas of prepping before school definitly helped.  I didn't do all he suggests, but what I did do with the Primers got me off to a good start.  And he is right about keeping up and reworking outlines as the semester goes on, working with hypos and old tests.
3.  I also agree reading the primers if you haven't or commercial outlines before reading the cases makes the cases much easier to understand.  If you know what the BLL is before you read the case, you can find it and how it is applied  to the facts quicker and understand it better than if you have to figure it out from the case.  I find I also pick up on subtle points the professor says that I would have ignored but for the fact I know they are important from the prep work.  I find cases aren't very efficient at teaching the law, but they are effective at teaching how the law is applied, or maybe evolves, from the facts in the case.  It is from this you learn to apply it to new facts. This pre-case prep is also in LSC and others as well; it's not PLS exclusive.
4. His recommendations of the Delaney book on legal reasoning is right on target.  That book is excellant for understanding briefing cases and analyzing them.  If you are already in the semester, you don't have time for this now.  But you might look at it between terms.
5. Also, the recomendation of LEEWS is right on as well.  That I would recommend you take it or get it ASAP.  I have't seen either 4 or 5 recommend in other books, but I have seen LEEWS flyers at my school.  I've tried the approach with primer questions and old exams and it is effective.
6  I don't agree with his philosophy of not briefing cases or only doing as much as you need to avoid embarrasment.  As a first year, I need to brief them to fully understand how the court is reaching its decision.  Though I have started to book brief some.  Also, I try to download the briefs from Lexis before I read the case, again to know what to look for before I go into the case.  But it's no subsitute for the case.
7. I also highlight in rainbow colors cases and book brief them at times, ala LSC.  This is not a PLS method.

I go part-time in the evening division, but part-time or full-time, ABA accredited or not, I would still do this.  It all takes time, no doubt about it, but is worth it.  I feel I'm learning the law and how to apply it to new fact patterns, and testing myself along the way.  I'm not in the fog they warned us about yet.  We'll see how it all works out come Oct. mid-terms and Dec. finals, but so far I'm confident and looking forward to the exams.

ruskiegirl

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2004, 10:49:14 PM »
Vandy1L, lay off of JJ.  I go to a school ranked higher than yours and I find the PLS method to be, if anything, counterproductive.

Have some respect for other members and thier schools. Vandy is a solid school, but the fact that JJ is going to NSL is not necessarily an indicator that he will be less successful than you will be. So, get your head out of your ass and quit acting like you are God's gift to the legal profession just because you go to Vanderbilt. 

jeffjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2004, 07:48:37 AM »
Coregram,
  It sounds like you've taken the best out of PLS and left the rest behind.  I can't disagree with your conclusions.  I just wish I had the time to use study aids and such.  :'(

Rgirl, thanks for the support.  I think V1L has shown he/she is not aware of many pertinent facts.

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2004, 11:19:51 AM »
Serious question not trying to flame here-

JJ, did you take the LSAT or is it not required at NSL?