Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: law school depression  (Read 33595 times)

renegade, esq

• View Profile
Re: law school depression
« Reply #130 on: October 21, 2007, 05:43:43 PM »
Hanging out with the smokers is also a chill idea.

Basic_Black

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 21, 2007, 05:52:39 PM »
Hanging out with the smokers is also a chill idea.

I do.  The smokers at my school are, for the most part, some of the most chill and deliciously no BS people I know. 

As for encouraging classmates to drink and party too much, many of them seem to need no encouragement.  Even so, on the Machiavellian spectrum, I try to err on the side of being liked, not feared.   Just because I work hard and want to do well (and retain the advantages I can) doesn't mean that I need to make any enemies unnecessarily.

There are definitely some 1Ls who bug me (or, really, most of our class) but I have a feeling that they'll be quieter once grades come out...
Law is order, and good law is good order.

Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC), Politics

MiamiLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 21, 2007, 06:23:22 PM »
I'm having a fun time in law school, and the people are amazing here, it's just like college for me. But then again, I love drinking, I love loud music, and I love parties, so that probably makes it a little easier.  :D   However I certainly do not drink and "party" all the time because I have my priorities.

Mr. Roe

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 21, 2007, 11:04:13 PM »
I'm having a fun time in law school, and the people are amazing here, it's just like college for me. But then again, I love drinking, I love loud music, and I love parties, so that probably makes it a little easier.  :D   However I certainly do not drink and "party" all the time because I have my priorities.

You are honestly the most annoying poster on here.  You've been in law school for two months, and you act like you know it all, as if law school is "fun" and "exciting."  Just wait until you realize that the law profession is extremely dull, boring, and frowned upon by 99% of society. 

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 21, 2007, 11:09:43 PM »
I am sure your classmates are all hoping that your love for drinking, loud music, and loud parties works in their favor come finals/grades. 
2L

starter

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 21, 2007, 11:53:53 PM »

You are honestly the most annoying poster on here.  You've been in law school for two months, and you act like you know it all, as if law school is "fun" and "exciting."  Just wait until you realize that the law profession is extremely dull, boring, and frowned upon by 99% of society. 

I will have to second this.  I feel dumber after reading almost every single one of this guy's posts.  But I hope he keeps coming back because some of the stuff that he puts on here is so hilarious that it helps get me through the day.

MiamiLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 22, 2007, 04:24:54 PM »

Well I apologize if I am annoying others with my posts, but I am only trying to stay highly optimistic at this point, because if I don't I am doomed.  :-[  I don't care if others frown upon my career, I am not going into law to please others.  However I really do hope the practice itself is not boring and dull. I do enjoy the work so far in law school and I am really hoping it will be similar in practice. If it isn't, I am not sure what I would do.

inremsleep

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 22, 2007, 11:36:54 PM »
I typed in "law school depression" and google pulled up this page.  It has been nice to read that others feel the same frustration that I feel.  I thought that law school would draw a lot of creative kind of eccentric people (unlike what you would find in an engineering program or med school).  So far I feel like I'm the only one that wasn't in a frat and watches channels other than ESPN in my free time.  What the f*ck?  I write music and really enjoy going to concerts when I have time.  I can't find anybody in my section that even knows what "indie" music is.  The last straw for me was when Rilo Kiley came to town, and everyone I asked about going said they had never heard of them (or Jenny Lewis).  I know this sounds snobby, but I love and live for indie music and films.  To be in an environment where I feel like the bearded lady in the freak show circus because I don't find Justin Timberlake to be talented at all (If you want a good laugh read his lyrics and then read the lyrics of an Elliott Smith song afterwards), I'd probably watch FoodTV or The Travel Channel over ESPN, and I'd rather go to a concert than a football or basketball game REALLY SUCKS and is EXTREMELY DEPRESSING.  I keep going back on whether or not I even made the right decision to come to law school.  If this is what my classmates are like, wouldn't that be a pretty good reflection of what my co-workers would be like as well after graduation?  I really want to work with independent music and production companies after I graduate, but at this point it seems like I'm more likely to get stuck working some traditional law firm job (if I can even get one).  This place blows!!--www.myspace.com/bartholomewjns.

Dude...chill out.  Here's some good lyrics for you:

REM

"Everybody Hurts"

When the day is long and the night, the night is yours alone,
When you're sure you've had enough of this life, well hang on.
Don't let yourself go, everybody cries and everybody hurts sometimes.

Sometimes everything is wrong. Now it's time to sing along.
When your day is night alone, (hold on, hold on)
If you feel like letting go, (hold on)
When you think you've had too much of this life, well hang on.

Everybody hurts. Take comfort in your friends.
Everybody hurts. Don't throw your hand. Oh, no. Don't throw your hand.
If you feel like you're alone, no, no, no, you are not alone

If you're on your own in this life, the days and nights are long,
When you think you've had too much of this life to hang on.

Well, everybody hurts sometimes,
Everybody cries. And everybody hurts sometimes.
And everybody hurts sometimes. So, hold on, hold on.
Hold on, hold on. Hold on, hold on. Hold on, hold on. (repeat & fade)
(Everybody hurts. You are not alone.)

Mr. Roe

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 22, 2007, 11:52:01 PM »

Well I apologize if I am annoying others with my posts, but I am only trying to stay highly optimistic at this point, because if I don't I am doomed.  :-[  I don't care if others frown upon my career, I am not going into law to please others.  However I really do hope the practice itself is not boring and dull. I do enjoy the work so far in law school and I am really hoping it will be similar in practice. If it isn't, I am not sure what I would do.

Practicing law is nothing like law school, so I don't know what you're going to do.

jhove

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 23, 2007, 08:33:07 AM »
its hard to find the balance out here, most of us detest law school, yet others try and lift the spirits of others as it should be done in a social or perhaps not so social more of an introverted creepy online searching for acceptance scenario!
anyhoo the point is if you have a more serious issue that you need addressed simply go about it the right way, and don't invite any tom, male private part or harry to post a reply, i mean what do you expect on a platform where people can freely offer their opinion, perhaps you need a mentor and a platform where not just anybody can delve into your problems or perhaps concerns (if you're sensitive) so my advice is to look at naked guru [nkdguru] dot com and you might get a more sophisticated response to your obviously touching dilemma!