Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: law school depression  (Read 32363 times)

j o e

• View Profile
Rehab: The last refuge of scoundrels
« Reply #110 on: October 05, 2006, 04:42:01 AM »
Disgraced former Congressman Mark Foley plays the rehab card, as he lunges for sympathy in the wake of his scandalized emails and IMs to up to 5 former Congressional pages.

Painfully, the events that led to my resignation have crystalized recognition of my longstanding significant alcohol and emotional difficulties.

I strongly believe that I am an alcoholic and have accepted the need for immediate treatment for alcoholism and related behavioral problems.

On Saturday, with the loving support of my family and friends, I made arrangements to enter a renowned in-patient facility to address my disease and related issues.

I deeply regret and accept full responsibility for the harm I have caused.

Over the weekend, I communicated extensively with one of the most respected mental health experts in Palm Beach County, Florida, who has been instrumental in counseling and assisting me.

Attorney David Roth, my good friend of four decades has been requested by me to fully and completely cooperate regarding any inquiries that may arise during my treatment.

Words cannot express my gratitude for the prayers and words of encouragement that have been conveyed to me.

r e

• View Profile
Re: law school depression
« Reply #111 on: October 05, 2006, 05:02:50 AM »

This other female private part must also go!

marianne

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 06, 2006, 06:59:40 AM »
Among the many depressing aspects of the downfall of Mark Foley -- who has now done the inevitable check-into-rehab thing -- is that a number of young people could have blown the whistle on this deceptive congressman in recent years, but didn't. The Washington Post tracked down a couple of them. Former page Patrick McDonald said that at a 2003 reunion he learned of sexual messages that Foley sent three or four ex-classmates and thought, "if this gets out, it will destroy him."

Matthew Loraditch says he has known for years about the "creepy" messages the Florida Republican sent three of his 2002 classmates. But no one wanted to come forward. "You take down a Congress member, and you can't end up trying to do something later," Loraditch said. Now I don't want to come down on 16-year-old kids (though some are now as old as 21) who must have been intimidated by the whole thing. Indeed, the power imbalance between a big-shot member of Congress and a lowly page is part of what makes this infuriating.

But did they really think that if they told the outside world that the co-chair of the Exploited Children's Caucus was sending them, or their friends, graphic sexual messages, that their future careers would be ruined?

YES. Of course they were scared probably terrified. Especially of a Republican congressmen with a fetish for young males. Most children (and yes I am referring to these once 16 year old boys as children) feel that being molested is THEIR fault.  Now add on to that the power that the republicans have had in the past TWO presidential terms and of course they were terrified. The bitches that should be punished are Mark Foley and the Bush Administration's "Politics of Fear."  All of these neocon, child molesting, murderous Republican power whores need to be taken to task for allowing this to happen. They are the ones that have made our whole country live in fear every day since September 11, 2001. No wonder these kids were scared.

Now, thanks to this WashPost report, we learn that the FBI had some of the e-mails in July and failed to launch an investigation. Did no one take this seriously? By the way, did Denny Hastert think that reading a statement before the cameras and then refusing to take questions was going to promote the appearance of openness? Again, who do you think is running the FBI? The Bush administration. They don't care if teen boys are molested or harassed, otherwise they would have sent by now this monstrous child molester to jail. They care about pushing their agenda, which I don't even know what that is anymore (it seems to be just warmongering and hate). If they think torturing is just SUPER, what would they think of some IM's and emails?  NOTHING, that's what. They fear nothing and they don't care who gets hurt along their way to a NeoNazi America.

Bush and his cronies, or more likely the reverse (I doubt bush is allowed to sneeze without Cheney checking his nose first), are hideous, terrifying creatures that need to be removed form power. This is like the Catholic Church covering up child molestation for all those years only slightly less serious because its not, for now, on such a huge scale. The Catholic Church wields enormous power and those children were overlooked as well by people of FAITH not politicians. Now put this scandal in the hands of politicians and you have a total cluster-@#!*. These politicians don't even answer to God! I propose that both power structures are removed, the Catholic Church and the Bush Administration, they have committed atrocities that are unforgivable and should at the very least be ostracized from the Citizenry of the World.

People should not be afraid of their governtments, governments should be afraid of their people.

The Revolution WILL BE BLOGGED!!

rice

• View Profile
"I would drive a few miles for a hot stud like you,"
« Reply #113 on: October 06, 2006, 07:16:43 AM »
E-mails Show Foley Sought to Rendezvous with Page

In addition to explicit sexual language, former Congressman Mark Foley's Internet messages also include repeated efforts to get the underage recipient to rendezvous with him at night.

"I would drive a few miles for a hot stud like you," Foley said in one message obtained by ABC News.

The FBI says it has opened a "preliminary investigation" of Foley's e-mails. Federal law enforcement officials say attempts by Foley to meet in person could constitute the necessary evidence for a federal charge of "soliciting for sex" with a minor on the Internet.

In another message, Foley, using the screen name Maf54, appears to describe having been together with the teen in San Diego.

Maf54: I miss you lots since san diego.
Teen:  ya I cant wait til dc
Maf54: :)
Teen:  did you pick a night for dinner
Maf54: not yet ... but likely Friday
Teen:  ok ... ill plan for Friday then
Maf54: that will be fun

The messages also show the teen is, at times, uncomfortable with Foley's aggressive approach.

Maf54: I want to see you
Teen:   Like I said not til feb…then we will go to dinner
Maf54: and then what happens
Teen:  we eat ... we drink ... who knows ... hang out ... late into the night
Maf54: and
Teen:  I dunno
Maf54: dunno what
Teen:  hmmm I have the feeling that you are fishing here ... im not sure what I would be comfortable with ... well see

rice

• View Profile
IMs Obtained by ABC News Cast Doubt on Claims from Foley's Lawyer
« Reply #114 on: October 06, 2006, 07:22:36 AM »
Mark Foley was sexually molested by a clergyman when Foley was between the ages of 13 and 15 and "wants you to know he is a gay man," his lawyer, David Roth, said late Tuesday. Mr. Roth said the disclosure was part of his client's "recovery." Asked why the former congressman did not reveal this information sooner, Roth said, "Shame, shame." "As is so often the case with victims of abuse, Mark advises that he kept his shame to himself for almost 40 years," Roth said. Foley, who checked into an alcohol rehabilitation facility in Florida, also "reiterates unequivocally that he has never had sexual contact with a minor," Roth said.

But instant messages obtained by ABC News do reveal that Congressman Foley met with an underage page in San Diego, a meeting which they spoke about in an instant message exchange from April, 2003.

Roth said he knew but could not reveal the name and denomination of the clergyman who molested him. According to Foley's biography on his Web site, he was raised as a Roman Catholic in the West Palm Beach area. Foley's lawyer said Foley takes responsibility for sending sexually graphic instant messages over the Internet and was under the influence of alcohol when he sent many of the messages. He denied, however, that Foley ever offered to provide alcohol for teens at his Capitol Hill apartment.

But according to an instant message provided to ABC News by a former page, Foley did make such an offer to a former page in April, 2003.

Maf54: then we can have a few drinks
Maf54: lol
Teen:  yes yes ;-)
Maf54: your not old enough to drink
Teen:  shhh....
Maf54: ok
Teen:  thats not what my ID says
Teen:  lol
Maf54: ok
Teen:  i probably shouldnt be telling you that huh
Maf54: we may need to drink at my house so we dont get busted

_____________________________ _____________________________ ____________________________
Mark Foley is not a gay man, he is a pedophile. Homosexual men have relationships with men not boys.

rice

• View Profile
Three More Former Pages Accuse Foley of Online Sexual Approaches
« Reply #115 on: October 06, 2006, 07:25:23 AM »
Three more former congressional pages have come forward to reveal what they call "sexual approaches" over the Internet from former Congressman Mark Foley. The pages served in the classes of 1998, 2000 and 2002. They independently approached ABC News after the Foley resignation through the Brian Ross & the Investigative Team's tip line on ABCNews.com. None wanted their names used because of the sensitive nature of the communications.

"I was seventeen years old and just returned to [my home state] when Foley began to e-mail me, asking if I had ever seen my page roommates naked and how big their penises were," said the page in the 2002 class. The former page also said Foley told him that if he happened to be in Washington, D.C., he could stay at Foley's home if he "would engage in oral sex" with Foley.

The page told ABC News he was interviewed this week by FBI agents who had a six-page list of questions about Foley and the exchanges. The second page who talked with ABC News, a graduate of the 2000 page class, says Foley actually visited the old page dorm and offered rides to events in his BMW. "His e-mails developed into sexually explicit conversations, and he asked me for photographs of my erect penis," the former page said. The page said Foley maintained e-mail contact with him even after he started college and arranged a sexual liaison after the page had turned 18.

The third page interviewed by ABC News, a graduate of the 1998 page class, said Foley's instant messages began while he was a senior in high school. "Foley would say he was sitting in his boxers and ask what I was wearing," the page said. "It became more weird, and I stopped responding," the page said.

All three pages described similar instant message and e-mail patterns, with remarkably similar escalations of provocative questions. "He didn't want to talk about politics," the page said. "He wanted to talk about sex or my penis," the page said. The three new verbal accounts are in addition to two sets of sexually explicit instant messages provided to ABC News by former pages.

An online story on the Drudge Report Thursday claimed one set of the sexually explicit instant messages obtained by ABC News was part of a "prank" on the part of the former page, who reportedly says he goaded the congressman into writing the messages. "This was no prank," said one of the three former pages who talked to ABC News today about his experience with the congressman.

bazooka

• View Profile
Re: "I would drive a few miles for a hot stud like you,"
« Reply #117 on: October 06, 2006, 08:44:16 AM »
E-mails Show Foley Sought to Rendezvous with Page

In addition to explicit sexual language, former Congressman Mark Foley's Internet messages also include repeated efforts to get the underage recipient to rendezvous with him at night.

"I would drive a few miles for a hot stud like you," Foley said in one message obtained by ABC News.

The FBI says it has opened a "preliminary investigation" of Foley's e-mails. Federal law enforcement officials say attempts by Foley to meet in person could constitute the necessary evidence for a federal charge of "soliciting for sex" with a minor on the Internet.

In another message, Foley, using the screen name Maf54, appears to describe having been together with the teen in San Diego.

Teen:  ya I cant wait til dc
Maf54: :)
Teen:  did you pick a night for dinner
Maf54: not yet ... but likely Friday
Teen:  ok ... ill plan for Friday then
Maf54: that will be fun

The messages also show the teen is, at times, uncomfortable with Foley's aggressive approach.

Maf54: I want to see you
Teen:   Like I said not til feb…then we will go to dinner
Maf54: and then what happens
Teen:  we eat ... we drink ... who knows ... hang out ... late into the night
Maf54: and
Teen:  I dunno
Maf54: dunno what
Teen:  hmmm I have the feeling that you are fishing here ... im not sure what I would be comfortable with ... well see

Chapter 117, 18 U.S.C. 2422(b)} forbids the use of the United States Postal Service or other interstate or foreign means of communication, such as telephone calls or use of the internet, to persuade or entice a minor (defined as under 18 throughout chapter) to be involved in a criminal sexual act. The act has to be illegal under state or federal law to be charged with a crime under 2422(b), and can even be applied to situations where both parties are within the same state, but uses an instant messenger program whose servers are in another state.

gorgefolly

• View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 06, 2006, 08:50:25 AM »
Homosexual acts have traditionally been decriminalised with a higher age of consent than for heterosexual acts. Spain is a unique case in that homosexual acts have been legal in Spain since 1822 (with the exception of the offence of "habitual homosexual acts" in the years 1928-32). The 1995 Criminal Code specified an age of consent of 12 under Article 181f for both heterosexual and homosexual sexual acts; and this was raised to 13 a few years later.

TheSunDevil

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: October 06, 2006, 11:29:09 AM »
but what does that have to do with the price of potatoes?  ::)