Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: law school depression  (Read 33587 times)

trichomoniasis

• View Profile
Re: law school depression
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2005, 01:51:57 PM »
There are so many abercrombie frat boys who stay near each-other each and every class ... we've like 5 male/male couples and I don't doubt they're all homosexuals.

As to this "frat boy" type of thing male, fraternities, and the like ...

Fraternities are said to have their origin in the Middle Ages when young men would go off to foreign countries to study in the new universities at Bologna or Paris. Men from the same countries clung together in the notion of brotherhood.

In early America, the founders of collegiate fraternities chose to name their organizations using Greek letters (Phi Beta Kappa being the first, in 1776), drawing upon the high culture of ancient Greece. Fraternities slowly spread across the United States, and what we know as the "social fraternity" has its roots in the mid-to late 19th century. Following tradition, these men chose to name their organizations using Greek letters.

Because Western civilization has chosen to emulate and draw upon the accomplishments of ancient Greece doesn't mean that the cultural standards in their society were comparable to ours. In fact, the Greeks were far more modern in their acceptance of homosexuality. Most of the greatest Greek citizens were active participants in homosexual sex.

Manly love was a common fixture of everyday Greek life. The Greeks practiced what was called pederasty: open sexual relationships between older men and adolescent boys. Both Plato and Xenophon explored the beauty of this love in their "Symposiums."

Distinguished Athenian citizens would stand around the gymnasium, where young boys ran naked, and the men would pick and choose a boy for a lover. This was all very legal, as long as the boy had reached puberty. Solon the lawgiver, himself a pederast, imposed strict laws against children being included in this practice. Boys were only attractive to older men if they had no hair on their face, thighs or buttocks. There were many arguments among the philosophers about which was greater: sex with a woman or sex with an adolescent boy. Achilles Tatius wrote, "Boys' sweat has a finer smell than anything in a woman's makeup box." In mythology we see such relationships between Zeus and Ganymede, Dionysus and Ampelos and Apollo with Hyacinthus and Cyparissus.

The Spartan soldiers - some of the most heroic and masculine warriors in history - participated actively in homosexual sex. Alexander the Great had a longtime male companion. When the corpses of Theban soldiers were found on the battlefield at Chaeronea, they were found in couples. Each loving pair of men fought bravely to their deaths, back to back.

Brisco

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2005, 12:02:37 AM »
Three years of law school is certainly a difficult thing to face. First off you're going to need to buy at least 10 different prep books before you even start. Perhaps a few prep courses, some basic self defense classes, and rigorous exercise. There are only a few basic rules that are true at any school, don't rat out your fellow students, don't be friendly with the guards, and try to beat up someone on your first day to show others that you mean business. It's usually best to join a clique as soon as possible, you don't want to be the lone 1L in a group of 2L's come shower time.

bandito

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2005, 06:56:36 PM »
There are only a few basic rules that are true at any school, don't rat out your fellow students, don't be friendly with the guards, and try to beat up someone on your first day to show others that you mean business. It's usually best to join a clique as soon as possible, you don't want to be the lone 1L in a group of 2L's come shower time.

These are conveniently modifiable to mean also,

Rat out your fellow students.

Be friendly with the guards.

Don't try to beat up someone on your first day to show others that you mean business.

It's usually best not to join a clique as soon as possible, you don't want to be the lone 1L in a group of 2L's come shower time

Sorry, I had to! :)

Ezekiel

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2005, 10:01:53 PM »
Magnolia:

"Frat boys" are males who can use gobs of hair-care products and fret about their clothes but still retain their masculinity and "guyness" in the eyes of their peers. They can jump into a pick-up basketball game with a group of strangers. They can gawk at and objectify women and still be considered endearing and cute. Frat boys take various forms, but what they all convey is the impression that comes from the right combination of physical traits and personality characteristics: striking good looks, inexplicable popularity, overt self-confidence, pervasive charm and just a hint of self-deprecation.

An air of entitlement or wealth also helps define a frat boy, as does a certain proclivity toward aggressiveness. (That's not to say that frat boys are all rich, but they probably act like they're swimming in money. Nor are they all violent -- that's unquestionably not the case -- but unchecked machismo, which they exude in great quantities, can sometimes have its downside, from frat house hazing to incidents of date rape.)

Does G.W. qualify as a frat boy? Yep. Steve Forbes? No way. Matthew McConaughey? Definitely. Jerry Seinfeld? Nope. And even when it's obvious, there are degrees of difference. For example, the dying ex-president Clinton and George W. were both frat boys, but different approaches; the difference is academic.

If you missed "The Real World," you probably haven't missed Abercrombie & Fitch, so you know the frat-boy look. The clothing store -- a step up from the Gap, a step sideways from Banana Republic -- is the definitive source of the frat-boy image. That's mostly due to its highly controversial catalog/magazine, the Abercrombie & Fitch Quarterly; the catalog's male models embody the image with their perfect abs and sly smirking grins. The look in their eyes says without question that they know you're looking at the photo with lust or envy, but probably both. And the clothing store knows you'll cover yourself in A&F gear just to try to look like the Adonises gazing out from the photos.

While clothes definitely contribute to the image -- just look around at all the young men wearing button-up, long-sleeved shirts tucked into khakis and topped with white baseball caps -- it's not just clothing or perfectly proportioned muscles and a strong jaw line that construct the image. It's not even always about youth. You can almost always see the glints of a former frat boy life in older men; although the image fades into baldness and extra padding, the golden boy at the center of it all is still there.

On another, more positive note, it appears that in his mid fifties, G.W. may be the nation's oldest, most photographed frat boy, proving that there are no age limits to the phenomenon. While A&F would instantly go out of business if it plastered its catalog's pages with boxer-clad Bush and his friends hanging on each other, he still has the athleticism -- real or perceived -- the smarmy, cocky attitude, the smirk. He pouts when things go wrong. His parents apparently clean up his messes. During debates, when other candidates ask Bush questions, he answers them as if his time would be better spent picking lint off his suit. In short, G.W. doesn't just expect to get the nomination and get elected president -- he knows he'll get it in the way a beloved, doted-upon 6-year-old knows that Santa won't stuff his stocking full of coal, no matter what he's done.

It doesn't really matter whether a frat boy has ever pledged a fraternity or even considered it. In fact, only a true fraternity boy could pull off the look without ever having set foot in a fraternity house. To be a "frat boy" one may just need to conform to a certain lifestyle, image and behavior. And CONFORMITY is the key word. From kindergarten on, we feel better, more comfortable, when we're among others who look, act and think like us. And when that mold is a powerful, sexual one like the frat boy, it's not hard to see why people flock to A&F and swoon over Colin.

I must say that this is the best frat boy definition I have ever heard.  Really, it should be published.  I never thought of G.W. as a frat boy, but your totally right.  Clinton is the ultimate frat boy since JFK (at least as politicians are concerned) and John Kerry was a frat boy wanna be.

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2005, 10:44:23 PM »
Like the OP my background is artsy and I did find the composition of my class to be a very different group of people than I was used to hanging out with.  (Creativity is significantly undervalued, homophobia runs high as prime examples).  However, I now find myself good friends with several incarnations of the frat boy type.  It's a very interesting study.  They aren't as bad as I had suspected.  ;)

11,5sep

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2005, 03:39:11 PM »
However, I now find myself good friends with several incarnations of the frat boy type.  It's a very interesting study.  They aren't as bad as I had suspected

maybe youre becoming a "frat boy" yourself ;D

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2005, 07:09:49 PM »
Haha, not even concievable. 

iamajd2b

• View Profile
Law school ELATION...
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2005, 02:10:03 PM »
Hey, so, like, I'm done with the first year, and I survived.  Any hints of depression are a thing of the past...

shambala

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2005, 10:01:13 PM »
I must say that this is the best frat boy definition I have ever heard.  Really, it should be published.

I think it IS published, Ezekiel!

Jude

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2005, 03:10:36 AM »

SACRED COMMUNION OF THIGHS!

Boys, this is really funny! LOL