Law School Discussion

The difference between an LLB and a JD?

The difference between an LLB and a JD?
« on: September 18, 2004, 03:43:13 AM »
Hey,

Can anyone please explain the difference between an LLB and a JD?

I`m studying at a University in Israel for an LLB. Is it true that you have to have a JD to get a job as a lawyer in the US?

Thanks,

Asaf

jeffjoe

• ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
Re: The difference between an LLB and a JD?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2004, 09:22:29 AM »
JD is the first building block of a law career. 

the LLB is a further step in legal education.

Now you  know as much as I do about LLB

chris1981l

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2004, 04:22:38 PM »
When i was doing my undergrad overseas i was looking at doing an LLB (in the UK and former colonies they sometimes call it a bachelor of laws as well?). 

Here's the scoop, you won't be able to get a job straight out of school (in the US) with an LLB, you need to do some sort of bridging program.  It's been a few years since I looked into it (memory was that it was something like a year bridging course at a US law school before you are eligible to sit any bar). 

Best way to find out the current requirements: contact the american bar association, or check out their website (they may have something?).  At the time I was studying, you could also get credit for practice time, so if you finished your LLB, did articles, then practiced a few years, they may be able to waive the bridging course. 

Anyway, this is all speculation, check out the ABA website and that should tell you for sure.

chris1981l

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2004, 04:28:31 PM »
totally forgot i still had a favourites folder left over from my undergrad...
if your LLB is the same as it is in the UK, this link should be very informative.
http://www.malet.com/london.htm

ptlaw

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 03:01:50 PM »
There is no difference between an LL.B., and a J.D. The change from LL.B., to a J.D., took place because some companies mistook the LL.B., (Bachelor of Legal Letters) for a bachelor's degree, instead of the graduate degree it really is. So all U.S. offer the J.D., instead of the LL.B. The LL.M., is the equivalent of a master's degree in law. The S.J.D., is the Ph.D., of the legal world.

Mostly law professors have the S.J.D. I don't know of any practicing attorneys with that degree. You will find some practicing attorneys with the LL.M.

PT