Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Supreme Court Question...  (Read 763 times)

cbethun1

• View Profile
    • Email
Supreme Court Question...
« on: September 14, 2004, 10:31:47 PM »
Can the Supreme Court try cases or only appeal?

I need to clear something up... :)

jchutz1

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Supreme Court Question...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2004, 12:45:50 AM »
SC can only hear cases on appeal.  There is no trial.  They just deal with issues of LAW; instead of issues of FACT (trial courts deal with this).  They also don't hear every case that is appealed. 

Ginatio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2004, 02:17:43 AM »
actually, if you look to article 3, the supreme court DOES in fact have original jurisdiction over certain matters (namely those involving foreign diplomats, ministers, and the like)... i'm not aware of any cases that have actually been brought under this statutory provision, but i can't see why the S.C. wouldn't be able to try these cases...

egfmba

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2004, 08:11:43 AM »
I agree with Giggity...the Supremes do have original jurisdiction over some types of cases, and they can try them, but it's extremely rare, emphasis on extremely...
We are responsible for actions performed in response to circumstances for which we are not responsible. - Allan Massie

chris1981l

• MSN Messenger - chrislaver@hotmail.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - chrislaver
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2004, 05:02:26 PM »
they have original jurisdiction in certain cases (and have to take them theoretically) but they actually pawn them off on a federal magistrate 99.9% of the time.  there is no recent example of the court exercising its original jurisdiction.

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2004, 07:05:51 AM »
Article III:

"... In all cases affecting Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, and those in which a State shall be a Party, the supreme Court shall have original Jurisdiction..."