Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Civ Pro is kicking my ass  (Read 3703 times)

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
Civ Pro is kicking my ass
« on: September 14, 2004, 09:12:59 PM »
Ok, folks, I admit it.  There's something in law school that doesn't come as second nature to me -- Civ Pro.  At first I was ashamed to admit that I was having trouble (you know all that vanity left over from the I'm a 3.9 GPA Phi Beta Kappa student in undergrad days). 

The funny thing is, I really can't place a finger on what it is that doesn't click for me.  All I know is that about 30 per cent of the time, I find myself at least somewhat confused.  They say this is normal, that you aren't supposed to understand everything that you learn during your first few weeks, but I don't seem to have any problems understanding the concepts in my other classes.   :-\

I suppose the logical thing to do would be to go talk to my professor and ask her if she thinks I am not up to speed and start reading pertinent topics in Examples and Explanations.  I do plan to do these things, but I guess, more than anything I need some moral support, an affirmation that I am not the only one.  Misery loves company, you know.  I'm just scared because I don't remember the last time I was lost in class.  Anyone else share my pain??

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
Re: Civ Pro is kicking my ass
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 09:32:44 PM »
I'm not taking civ pro yet, but I have some of the same feeling about my other classes.  Part of the time it seems like I landed on the wrong planet.  The rest of the time I think I was meant for law school from birth.

Take a breath, talk to the prof and charge ahead.
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

Vindigo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 10:23:12 PM »
My Civ. Pro prof. said blatently at the outset that we would be confused for a bit.  Civ. Pro seems to be one of the classes that gives most people some trouble.  I find that day to day I am on it no prob. but when I step back and try to look at it  as a whole entiity at times i am like WTF?
so, don't worry, the steps you listed to remedy the situation are the appropriate ones.  Most of all, don't feel ashamed to say "I am confused" I would be more worried if you weren't, because if it were easy, everyone would grab a law degree.
best regards
V

calguy815

• Sr. Citizen
  • NYU '07
    • AOL Instant Messenger - calguy815
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2004, 12:37:22 AM »
Ditto, ruskie.  I feel on top of things in other classes, but when it comes to Civ Pro, sometimes, it feels like the case I read and the case he's discussing are two different things.  I have an excellent professor who is engaging and funny and I love attending class, but man, civ pro truly is the hardest class this semester for me too.

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2004, 12:48:53 AM »
Ditto, ruskie.  I feel on top of things in other classes, but when it comes to Civ Pro, sometimes, it feels like the case I read and the case he's discussing are two different things.  I have an excellent professor who is engaging and funny and I love attending class, but man, civ pro truly is the hardest class this semester for me too.
OK, that makes me feel a lot better.  I talked to a few of my classmates tonight and they seem to say the same thing -- Civ Pro is in a world of its own.  I guess I shouldn't worry that much -- it's not like you can fail out of Boalt, but I do want to do my best.   

I think part of the process is to make you feel helpless and humble you a little.  Maybe they have to erase everything you thought you knew before they can program you to think like a lawyer.... :-\ ???

Ginatio

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2004, 02:10:50 AM »
what is it about civpro that has you so confused?

i mean, it's one of the only subjects that's been almost completely codified, so there's a definite method to the madness...

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2004, 02:46:25 AM »
what is it about civpro that has you so confused?

i mean, it's one of the only subjects that's been almost completely codified, so there's a definite method to the madness...
Yeah, try reading some of the rules and then applying them.  It won't take you long to see the problem/challenge.

dgatl

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2004, 09:04:55 AM »
ruskie, get the E&E by Glannon.  its a really good explanation

prettylily

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2004, 11:19:36 AM »
It varies for me on a day to day basis it seems.  In the beginning, I was clueless.  I started to understand, it seems.  In fact last night while doing the reading, I thought I was getting it.  That is until the prof started making points and asking questions.  Then, I found myself clueless.  It happens for me in Torts as well.  :-[

NovaLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2004, 01:19:10 PM »
the wording of the fed. rules of civ pro are my main problem with the class; it takes me forever to hammer down what each rule is actually saying.