Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Legal Writing and Research  (Read 21268 times)

JByrd

• View Profile
Re: Legal Writing and Research
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2004, 09:52:59 AM »
I have read all the posts and agree with all of the comments.  I, like all of you, realize this is her first year and I do take that fact into consideration.  It's our first year too though and she expects certain things from us so we should expect things from her as well.  We are all paying for this education and it's important that we understand it.  It's her job to ensure that we do and whatever means she has to use to do that she should.  If what she is doing isn't working, as a teacher she should explore other methods.  Surely she can see and feel the frustration and lack of attention many of us show her.  Most of the material we've covered so far seems really elementary and she seems to make it much more complicated than it needs to be or is.  I guess we just tough it out and maybe it'll get better.  Hopefully students are allowed to complete evaluations at the end of the course.  Does anyone know about that? :-\

edythec

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2004, 01:20:48 PM »
Yes, you get to complete evaluations at the end of each class.  They are required.  Your grade for the class will not be released until you fill out the evaluation.  The evaluation forms appear 2 to 3 weeks prior to the end of the class.  They are annonymous unless you want to put your name on them.  I don't think Intro to Law could be exciting no matter who taught it.  Davidson taught a shorter version last year and he was really hung up on history.  You should be sure to state your opinions in a poite way on the evaluation forms.
"Ever notice that 'What the hell' is always the right decision?" - Marilyn Monroe

Dicta

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life Is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2004, 10:17:50 AM »
Spoke to a couple of reliable sources last night.
We need to bite the bullet and keep our mouth's shut and be honest on the evaluations!
Susan
Until you go too far, you will never know how far you can go.
TS Eliot (poorly paraphrased by myself)

Dicta

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life Is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2004, 02:36:27 PM »
Well, evidently there is always this problem with a new instructor. I think folks had gripes with Smith when he was new and now he's doing beautifully.
Perhaps we should view her class with the attitude (how many times have we heard it) that we are here to learn, not be taught. We are going to have to feel our way through this and hope she doesn't grade too roughly.
If my first assignment is really slashed up, I will probably have a private talk with her. I think we owe it to go to her first, rather than the Dean. Maybe if enough of us ask for a private visit she will change directions.....
What's your opinion?

Dicta

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life Is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2004, 05:43:53 PM »
Well, I have calmed down significantly but could get fired up again really quickly!
What do you think is a good solution?
Susan

Dicta

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life Is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2004, 07:22:01 PM »
Well if it were easy to understand we wouldn't need a teacher AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  >:(
Have you read how she is grading the Memo exercise? Reminds me of my 12th grade English teacher. Very passive aggressive and very lonely......
Susan

Dicta

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life Is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2004, 07:33:03 PM »
Um, well, I just got out my syllabus where are the "A"s the text?
I mean there is chapter 2 exercise one....
You interpreted much better than I....I believe you are right!
Susan

Dicta

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life Is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2004, 07:34:36 PM »
Whoops, didn't proof that message. I have not done the work, just sitting down to do it. I'm glad you posted yours. I agree, we should not do 1-9, but rather 1,9; chaper 8--1 and 10 etc.
Not even this is simple!
Susan

steviej

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2004, 08:24:19 PM »
You guys are right - it's just the 2 in each exercise...i.e. 2A 1 and 6, etc.  our class is one week ahead of you and we turned those in last week.

Dicta

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life Is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2004, 02:24:14 PM »
I agree 100%. I went off on a tangent on this topic (thought it was in this thread). But if it helps at all, everyone I've spoken to feels the same way!
 >:(