Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Legal Writing and Research  (Read 21783 times)

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
Legal Writing and Research
« on: September 14, 2004, 10:45:46 AM »
I thought perhaps I was the only one at least a little dissatisfied with this class.
Someone told me last night that they are very unhappy with the class.

Wudya think of this class?
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

Chuck Milam

• View Profile
Re: Legal Writing and Research
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 11:13:33 AM »
I thought perhaps I was the only one at least a little dissatisfied with this class.
Someone told me last night that they are very unhappy with the class.  Wudya think of this class?

I've just recently been in the very position that Professor Hogan is in:  Teaching a large class for the first time.  So, in some respects, I can understand her struggle, and cut her a little slack. 

However, I do find the class lectures frustrating--I have trouble seeing the overhead projector images when they're not up high on the wall (would be nice to have a real projector screen).  Often times the topic we're dicussing appears to be below waist level, and impossible to see from the rear classroom seats.

Some of my frustration also comes from the off-topic questions that seem to throw the lecture completely off track.  While the professor is ultimately responsible for keeping the lecture on track and on time, the students share the blame, too.  Students should be considerate of other classmates.  If a student has a question that may take more than a minute or two to answer, or may not be of interest to the rest of the class, then that question should be saved for a one-on-one meeting with the professor after or outside of class time. 

Ok, that's enough for now.  Whew!   ;D

Susan Young

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 03:39:00 PM »
I was very very upset in class last night. I don't think she is qualified to teach this class.
I feel like pretty straightforward concepts are simply muddled and muddled and muddled. I feel in some ways that it is a waste of time.
When I got home last night my husband reminded me that it seems there is always at least one instructor that is not as "good" as the others. Perhaps the quality of instruction in our other classes is exceptional and she is caughte in the lurch?
He suggested I learn to deal with it or round up a posse and go to the Dean. I guess I am going to deal with it.
However, it's a shame we have to attend because I seem to do better with the material before she "teaches" it!
As a mother, I also know she has a new baby and I know what that can do to your mind! :D
I would love to hear from others in the class. I know folks who sit near me feel the same.
Does anyone have suggestions for solutions?
good post!
Susan

steviej

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 05:07:29 PM »
I have her on Wednesday nights and after last week's class I was furious! 

We asked questions and couldn't get simple, straight answers.  We asked her to explain the material in a different way, she told us no! - she had other material she wanted to cover.  I know from the grumbling after class no one was happy.  Even my study group talked about our concerns and the persentation of last week's material.

I realize this is her first year teaching.  She just may be the kind of person who knows the material so well but can't communicate it to others.

One thing is for sure - she needs to get rid of the overhead projector! 

Glad to hear others feel the same way.

Steph

lawgroupie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 11:41:47 PM »
I was frustrated with the lecture last week too. Ditto re the above comments.

Also about work load--This week hasn't been too bad, but I think more than the other teachers, she has given us way too much stuff to read most weeks. It's hard to do all of it well. I know the subject matter is important, but it is too much at a time. I think less material would held her lectures too. I feel like everything is rushed in her class, including her explanations. :o

Susan Young

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2004, 12:02:01 AM »
Another thing that bugs me: why are we spending an entire class period on an assignment that's not due for a month and then we don't discuss the client interview we have next week. I know it's in the book but so are all the other things she seems to muddle....
I thought it was absurd that we had to turn in a brief this week when we've been writing them since the second class period in all our other classes. So much of this stuff seems like 8th grade busy work....
I don't know what the solution is....I'm going to discreetly speak to some of the staff I've gotten to know. See if they have any suggestions. Do you think that's a good idea?
Susan

Chuck Milam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2004, 12:35:27 PM »
I know some were confused (I was) about what was to be turned in tonight (9/15).  I just checked TWEN, and there was the answer (emphasis mine):

by Melissa Hogan, Sun, 9/12/2004 7:06:45 PM CDT   

I think each of you may be in different classes - the Monday class versus the Wednesday class. For the Monday class, the brief is due on 9/13 - Class #3 for Intro to Law and Legal Writing I. The Wednesday class is now ahead (because of Labor Day) and they have different assignments due on 9/15 - their Class #4. For Class #4, all of the Wydick exercises are to be turned in.

Melissa Hogan

susan young

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2004, 02:52:27 PM »
Ummm, do our instructors peruse this board?  :-[

steviej

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2004, 03:04:13 PM »
not I..... :-X

susan young

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2004, 05:24:47 PM »
Well, you just never know. I certainly hope not...Maybe we should swith ids to aliases?
Susan ???