Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: John Marshall--Atlanta...  (Read 913 times)

cbethun1

• View Profile
    • Email
John Marshall--Atlanta...
« on: September 13, 2004, 10:56:19 PM »
Any word on its accredition status?  What are the chances of it getting ABA-Approved.  Is there any chance it gets closed down if its denied ABA Accredition? 

Any reply would help as I'm thinking of applying there. 

buddha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Impossible to Tell
    • Email
Re: John Marshall--Atlanta...
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 08:19:47 AM »
I haven't heard any updates on the accreditation battle.  Dean Ryan seems to think that the June LSAT results will help but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Now what it will do if it doesn't get ABA accreditation is another matter.  JM has such a strong alumni base in Georgia I've got the suspicion that the GSC will continue to extend its deadline.
Hens love roosters, geese love ganders
Everyone else loves Ned Flanders!

cbethun1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 03:15:08 PM »
What normally happens if if doesn't get approved or the deadline is not extended?  Also, what type of LSAT and GPA is needed to get in?

buddha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Impossible to Tell
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 03:36:14 PM »
If the deadline isn't extended and ABA accreditation isn't granted you're in trouble because then you wouldn't be able to sit for the Georgia Bar.  I'm not sure about the stats for admission but I would imagine they're well below what Mercer requires.

If I had a reasonable confidence that JM would get ABA approval before 2007 I probably would have gone there and not be flying to Cooley every weekend.  But since at least 1996 I've heard JM say that ABA approval is right around the corner and yet here they are. 

cbethun1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 03:41:59 PM »
Any idea when we will know if the deadline will be extended or if they are granted ABA-approval?
Another thing, suppose the deadline is extended and I'm end up going to JM set to graduate from JM in 2009, would I be able to sit for the bar?

buddha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Impossible to Tell
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2004, 03:57:36 PM »
Any idea when we will know if the deadline will be extended or if they are granted ABA-approval?

Sorry no.

Another thing, suppose the deadline is extended and I'm end up going to JM set to graduate from JM in 2009, would I be able to sit for the bar?

If the deadline is extended until August 2009 and you graduate in June 2009 you would be eligible to sit for the July exam.

cbethun1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2004, 06:42:53 PM »
Okay..Thanks...so if that is the situation, I pretty much have to pass the bar on the first try? 

buddha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Impossible to Tell
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2004, 08:06:15 AM »
That's my understanding.  But I wouldn't sweat it too much the GA Bar isn't really that hard compared to some places.  Take a look at some of the past exams and sample answers.

http://www2.state.ga.us/courts/bar/pages/sampleindex.html