Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Indepth Experience with ALU, Concord, NWCU. Can someone summarize week  (Read 6321 times)

Yankees98a

• View Profile
    • Email
I need your help. Im trying to compare Abraham Lincoln, Concord, and NWCU and compare them.. Please help. (also is taft even in the league?)

Can anyone post an indepth experience to summarize how each school
operates for all to review on a week's basis. I realize we had that
woman name Karen do it for NWCU but then she dropped off. But I mean

Watch Tape <Lecture was boring/able to watch/fell asleep during
it/studied without lecture> <Amount of Time>
Study material <standard, how much time>
Discussion Section via Online Chat. <same/different prof> <was/wasn't
helpful> <How much time>
Homework <How much time, how hard>
Grades fair/curved/hard

Total time spent = 10 hours?

Also what are people experience when dealing with employers and
saying NWCU, ALU, or Concord.

David550

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Indepth Experience with ALU, Concord, NWCU. Can someone summarize week
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2004, 07:09:47 PM »
Hi, I am a great believer in correspondence law schools for those who work fully time. I am in my second year of NWCU. I have just passed the CA State BB on my first try. All correspondence schools require the student to be self disciplined, therefore the key will be how you apply yourself. NWCU offers a chat room for weekly debates as well as immediate feedback on posted hypos. I investigated all the schools you referenced and chose NWCU. I am glad I did.

Good luck,
David550

inspector-law

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 10:16:15 PM »
I'm in NWCU. Everyone does it different. If you don't have a problem studying 2-3 hours every weeknight and all day saturday or sunday, then you are okay. I took 6 months to investigate this whole experience to see if it was right for me. I have been enrolled for 3 months. The law like anything else is technical. It has its own language and universe. Learning this is a struggle but that comes with any new endeavor. You have to find your own self enrolling in a correspondence law school.

GBrown

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2004, 01:32:12 PM »
Question for you NWCU students:

Have any of you thought about the non-bar program? I don't necessarily want to practice law, but have a nagging interest in the law. Will the non-bar JD look good on a resume' or will it look like I couldn't finish what I started?

Opinions?

Thanks,
Gary

law543

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2004, 02:13:59 PM »
Question for you NWCU students:

Have any of you thought about the non-bar program? I don't necessarily want to practice law, but have a nagging interest in the law. Will the non-bar JD look good on a resume' or will it look like I couldn't finish what I started?

Opinions?

Thanks,
Gary

I recently enrolled at NWCU...and in my professional experience ...any degree on your resume is going to be attractive. A law degree can only be impressive.

Take care
Law542

chaser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 07:01:21 PM »
One option that not too many people know about is that you can get your JD from a distance-learning school in about 3 years, then attempt to get accepted to an ABA school that has an LL.M. (Legum Master) program and get a post-Doctorate Master.  Depending on how long it takes to complete one's Master's Thesis, a post-Doctorate Master can be completed in as quick as one year.

This would, in a way, put you in the top 3% of legal professionals, since only about 3% of practicing lawyers have a post-Doctorate Master.  It also cancels out the "stigma"--real or imagined--of the distance-learning school.

(This strategy would, of course, be contingent on acceptance by the ABA school into their LL.M. program.)

chaser
"Civilization is the process of reducing the infinite to the finite."  Oliver Wendell Holmes

james1968

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 06:29:37 PM »
What information does anyone have about NOVUS Law School..Anyone ever take their program??????

elainem

• View Profile
    • Email
Hi to James,

I have just been contacted by Novus about attending their program
From my understanding, all work is done by mail only. The seven states that they mention are the only ones you can sit to take the bar exam.

I am still a little worried about the program, but they are the cheapest and do have a payment plan. I would say that a person should only take this course of study if they are planing to go into business for theirself in the entertainment business or publishing business, but not to go in to the court system to defend someone.

However, the law is pretty much a self taught lesson if you truly look at the courses they are giving you. These courses are the same courses as the ones they give you in the Associate Degree programs to become a paralegal. The only reason I think the ABA does not approve these programs are because you are not giving the extra classes which include english, math, biology, etc...the stuff that B&M schools love to make you take for the extra money.

So, as far as I see it those paralegals are not ABA approved.