Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I don't care anymore  (Read 5629 times)

Ginatio

• View Profile
I don't care anymore
« on: September 11, 2004, 12:15:30 AM »
Only two weeks into it and I already don't care.

I only peruse the cases, then use Lexis briefs to see if I was on target with the issues.

I take notes during class, but that's pretty much it... and honestly, I've even stopped taking notes in some classes.

I haven't been outlining and am planning to use a 2L or 3L's outlines.

despite all this, I still feel as though I have a good grasp of the law and the concepts. am I fooling myself? am i destined for failure come finals?

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: I don't care anymore
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2004, 07:49:12 AM »
Unless you happen to be a genius, yes, you are setting yourself up for a downfall. Why do you think you feel this way?

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 10:07:39 AM »
If you don't care anymore, why are you still in law school?
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

aryeal

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004, 11:44:18 PM »
I think it's fairly common to hit the "I don't care" anymore stage.  I hit it myself a couple of weeks ago but got over it after a good night's sleep.  I plan to hit the same wall many times in the next 3 years. 

It's overwhelming, it's horrible, it's inhumane!  But it's a great exercise in mental toughness.

Are you giving yourself real downtime or are you feeling like you are spinning your wheels? Get some downtime and see if your perspective changes.  We all need rest.

And to answer the real call of the question, I think you're toast if you don't pull through this phase.  Hang in there  ;).

vw515

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2004, 01:17:13 AM »
Do your work. It is better to struggle and stress out now than get stuck working hard stressing out for a small paycheck later. I agree some classes are straight forward but you do not want to get caught out there all alone at finals. Your classmates will most likely want to help you out at finals if they know you did the work rather than just sat around while we all spent the semester crying loosing or gaining 50 pounds drinking lots of coffee, buying glasses, having carpal tunnel surgery and passing out on our laptops.  Good luck I am tired BS'd most of today but I am up on my reading.
Good Luck Class of 2007

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2004, 12:21:43 PM »
If you don't care anymore, why are you still in law school?

i didn't say i didn't like it. i just lack the motivation to bust my ass studying my brains out.

just wondering if i can get away with this as long as i AM able to follow along in class, or if this is a common mistake by 1Ls who think they know what's going on but who really don't know *&^%

Oh,sorry.   

In that case, I'd guess you're not getting as much out of it as you can.  If what you get is enough for you, don't work any harder.  But if you want to be the best lawyer you can be, .....

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2004, 09:47:32 PM »
i have no intention on becoming the best torts lawyer ever to grace the legal scene...

Think of it as practice.

dgatl

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2004, 12:34:40 AM »
i briefed the cases for the first week just so that I knew how to do it.  i googled various brief banks, and now i just use those, and modify it with my own points.  class is an utter waste of time.  they skim over the most important topics and of course we are still responsible for knowing the topics come around exam time.

i have been getting damn good at collapse and snood in the meantime

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2004, 09:35:57 AM »
Aren't you pissed that you're spending a fortune to be bored?

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2004, 01:30:36 PM »
Aren't you pissed that you're spending a fortune to be bored?

aren't you pissed that you're spending a fortune for a non-accredited degree?  :D

Actually, I'm not spending a fortune.  My tuition for the full program is less than many ABA schools, including the ones with a lower bar exam rate.  Total for full program 16K