Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I don't care anymore  (Read 5511 times)

Dante Hicks

Re: I don't care anymore
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2004, 02:17:59 PM »
How do you pay for your tuition?  Do they take payments or do you have to finance through them?

Also, since Nashville is not ABA, how can you get student loans or defer any that you already may have while attending law school?

Do they have scholarships?  The only reason I'm asking is because I'm maybe considering going to Birmingham School of Law, which is also non-ABA.

Thanks.

Dante Hicks (aka Ronnie)

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2004, 02:58:01 PM »
They accept monthly payments, but I paid in advance because they offer a 5% cash discount.  I'll have to do something else next year though.

I don't know about financial aid situation. I never inquired.  I'm winging it.

How do you pay for your tuition?  Do they take payments or do you have to finance through them?

Also, since Nashville is not ABA, how can you get student loans or defer any that you already may have while attending law school?

Do they have scholarships?  The only reason I'm asking is because I'm maybe considering going to Birmingham School of Law, which is also non-ABA.

Thanks.

Dante Hicks (aka Ronnie)
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

dgatl

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2004, 10:39:54 PM »
Aren't you pissed that you're spending a fortune to be bored?

No, because i'm still getting a $32,000 gym membership.

Dante Hicks

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2004, 08:58:54 AM »
Thanks.

They accept monthly payments, but I paid in advance because they offer a 5% cash discount. I'll have to do something else next year though.

I don't know about financial aid situation. I never inquired. I'm winging it.

How do you pay for your tuition? Do they take payments or do you have to finance through them?

Do they have scholarships? The only reason I'm asking is because I'm maybe considering going to Birmingham School of Law, which is also non-ABA.

Thanks.

Dante Hicks (aka Ronnie)

dgatl

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2004, 12:42:33 PM »
Aren't you pissed that you're spending a fortune to be bored?

No, because i'm still getting a $32,000 gym membership.

*&^%... penn charges $250 more for a year's gym membership... sumbitches

dude that sucks... do they also charge you for the beer that you all have at the weekly law school keggers?  we have one every thursday in bacardi plaza.  it seems like in addition to that there is alcohol at the law school another time each week

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2004, 09:19:13 AM »
Many upper classman I have talked to say this will work.  People can just read their cases and material, look at a lexis brief or commercial brief, and borrow someone else's outline, and still make it without briefing or outlining themselves.

However, the upper classman say that they are not the ones that get the best grades, but they still will pass.

I would suspect that it may more negatively affect you after school as opposed to during school.  The habits, discipline, and study and research skills you development and hone in during law school will be more critical during work...there will not be commercial briefs and extra help for you for your client's cases. 

What you put in, is what you get out of it.

Only two weeks into it and I already don't care.

I only peruse the cases, then use Lexis briefs to see if I was on target with the issues.

I take notes during class, but that's pretty much it... and honestly, I've even stopped taking notes in some classes.

I haven't been outlining and am planning to use a 2L or 3L's outlines.

despite all this, I still feel as though I have a good grasp of the law and the concepts. am I fooling myself? am i destined for failure come finals?

lawgroupie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2004, 02:55:50 PM »
dante,

At NSL, you can't get loans, but they do have scholarships. One new scholarship is named after a mother of a friend of mine. You can make monthly payments at NSL.

edythec

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2004, 04:33:31 PM »
Actually there are loans available when you go to NSL, just not through the school.  I read that there is a bank that NSL recommends that will loan you the money.  I made it through the first year, I am hoping for one of the scholarships to help me through the next three!
"Ever notice that 'What the hell' is always the right decision?" - Marilyn Monroe

IHEARTLS

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2004, 02:03:09 AM »
All of the 2Ls and 3Ls that I've talked to said that you should type/write your own outline b/c it will help you retain the information better.  If you choose to use another studnet's outline, retype it.  Around the end of November when you start studying for finals you will be familiar with the structure of the outline and old topics will still be somewhat fresh in your mind.

Another thing...whenever I get that "I don't care anymore" feeling (it's happend twice and we've been in school 6 weeks) I just take the night off.  I make myself a drink (Absolute Citron & Lemonade) and I go to sleep.  The next morning I'm refreshed and ready to go!

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2004, 06:01:20 PM »
Only two weeks into it and I already don't care.

I only peruse the cases, then use Lexis briefs to see if I was on target with the issues.

I take notes during class, but that's pretty much it... and honestly, I've even stopped taking notes in some classes.

I haven't been outlining and am planning to use a 2L or 3L's outlines.

despite all this, I still feel as though I have a good grasp of the law and the concepts. am I fooling myself? am i destined for failure come finals?
That depends on your ambition and your grading curve.

No one fails out of Boalt and we have a pretty accommodating grading curve, so I have no intention of driving myself crazy and studying 24-7.  People that did that during the first half of the semester are starting to show signs of burn-out, while I feel like I have enough steam for the rest of the semester.

Look, Gin, you go to a T14.  You're gonna get a great job, even if you graduate dead last.  Unless you're one of those people that ALWAYS has to finish first, I would say you can relax and continue with your current M.O., as long as you feel like you are genuinely getting the concepts.