Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Briefs: which ones  (Read 5412 times)

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
Re: Crimes/briefs was Re: Briefs: which ones
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2004, 10:04:51 AM »
I am doing my best to brief all of them. Especially Torts and Contracts since he calls on the class to brief. I would think Crimes is not too focused on the briefs.....
How is everyone studying for Crimes?
Susan

For crimes, I'm briefing everything.  I don't think we need as much detail in the brief as we do for torts.  He said we should focus on the issue that relates to the subject we are on.  For state v. brown, I only discussed the one issue in the brief.  In torts, he wants a lot in the brief.
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

Chuck Milam

• View Profile
Re: Briefs: which ones
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2004, 10:00:19 AM »
I spent way too much time briefing torts cases this week.  I was really struggling with getting my briefs to "fit" his model.  Eventually, late last night, I threw in the towel and decided to make it fit my model...or else I'd still be stuck on the first case.  I figure I just need to make sure I know the case and can answer the questions when it's my time to win the socratic sweepstakes. :o

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2004, 10:37:24 AM »
I likehis method.  It works for me.

But I find myself spending too much time on briefs for other classes like contracts.  Torts briefs need more info for the sweepstakes.

I spent way too much time briefing torts cases this week.  I was really struggling with getting my briefs to "fit" his model.  Eventually, late last night, I threw in the towel and decided to make it fit my model...or else I'd still be stuck on the first case.  I figure I just need to make sure I know the case and can answer the questions when it's my time to win the socratic sweepstakes. :o

Susan Young

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2004, 10:52:21 AM »
I seem to be able to get to the heart of the issue pretty easily in contracts. I print out the brief of the case on Westlaw and read it before I read the actual case. That way I know what I am looking for. It seems to help quite a bit.
It helps in torts too.

anonymouse

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2004, 11:21:52 AM »
It is way too much work to brief every single case for all the first year classes.  I mean, it's really, really f-ing ridiculous amounts of work.  Taking the advice of some upper classmen and attorneys I work with, we have created a "briefing" group of six or seven people.  We assign who will brief which cases each week and then email our briefs to eachother.

Otherwise you will drown and get burned out really damn quick.  I would suggest you all do the same.  Everyone carefully reads all the cases, but you only brief 4 or 5 each week, so instead of 20+ bad briefs, you do a few great ones.  Members of our group have been called upon to brief in class and, relying on each other's briefs, we have done great so far.

I save at least 10 hours, probably, each week doing this.  Then you can focus on learning the material and using your study time more wisely and keep your sanity.

Good luck!!!

Reality

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2004, 03:57:13 PM »
Put the study group together and have each member brief a case.  Each member should read the cases and know the material and issues but to brief each & every one is BS!  I saw on here where someone else gave you all the same advice....take it. 

Also, don't let the upperclass folks that are on here scare you all....sometimes, you'll find some "overachievers" in the bunch that think this is some sort of competition among the masses.  It's not folks.....at the end of the day do you know what they call a student who made an A in Davidson's class and one who made a C?  Lawyer.  Remember, it's not so much memorizing all the material but it's the "application" of the material you need to focus on.  If you don't know something...ask...that's why you are here.  I know a lot of so called A students that couldn't litigate an actual case if their life depended on it.  Why...because in the real world, reality in which those of us work...what you memorize in law school will prepare you to "be" a lawyer...but what you "learned" by analyzing and applying will make you a good lawyer.

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2004, 04:07:27 PM »
Study groups are limited because most students at NSL work full time and many live and work quite a distance from the school.

edythec

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2004, 04:15:11 PM »
Actually you do not call either of them Lawyer until/if they pass the bar.  Each person has to find out what is the best way for him or her to study and learn the material.  Whether that is using group briefs or doing them yourself.  That is the hardest part about the first year, finding out how it all fits together for you. As for the "overacheivers" Dean Townsend has statistics that show that bar passage percentage is linked to GPA.
"Ever notice that 'What the hell' is always the right decision?" - Marilyn Monroe

steviej

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2004, 04:15:21 PM »
I highly encourage it!  

Try setting one up with others (if any) in your area.  

We set one up and it did a world of good in just our first meeting.  You have to set some ground rules before hand but it helps tremendously.  We all recognize the sacrifices we are making and are respectful of that with each other so we have committed to 3 hours every weekend to meet and STUDY!

I have heard this from so many alumni of NSL.  

Maybe you can find someone who lives close and you could split the difference to meet and study.

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2004, 04:19:39 PM »
I'm the only student in my area.

I highly encourage it! 

Try setting one up with others (if any) in your area. 

We set one up and it did a world of good in just our first meeting.  You have to set some ground rules before hand but it helps tremendously.  We all recognize the sacrifices we are making and are respectful of that with each other so we have committed to 3 hours every weekend to meet and STUDY!

I have heard this from so many alumni of NSL. 

Maybe you can find someone who lives close and you could split the difference to meet and study.