Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ABA Vs. State Accredited Law Schools...  (Read 1104 times)

cbethun1

• View Profile
    • Email
ABA Vs. State Accredited Law Schools...
« on: September 08, 2004, 08:04:29 PM »
If I plan on practicing law in my own state, and I decide/or I'm forced to go to a state accredited Law School(ie.  John Marshall Law School-Atlanta), what are the major differences in ABA vs. Non-ABA approved other than practicing in other states?

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
Re: ABA Vs. State Accredited Law Schools...
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 08:09:34 PM »
the major difference is that a JD from an ABA approved school allows you to take the bar in any state.  Non-ABA JDs are limited -- usually -- to a single state.

Other than that, the differences can be as varied as schools are.
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

highball

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 09:37:40 PM »
When I got my engineering degree, my particular program was not ABET certified.  In the engineering world, acredidation is done on a subject by subject basis, not the whole school.  The consequence of not having ABET approve the program would be 8 years vs. 4 years of professional work to satisfy the experience requirement to get your license to practice.  The school worked like MAD to get the program certified and they were ultimately successful.  Acredidation by the main sanctioning body of a professional field is HUGE in my opinion.  My lord, why spend the expense and time requirement to go to a non-ABA school when you can just as likely find a Tier-4 somewhere to take you.  You only do law school once, maximize what you're getting out of it.  If you can ONLY get into a non-ABA, you shouldn't be a lawyer IMO.  That would suggest you can't get into Cooley, and Cooley would accept Corky from that TV show back in the day.

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 09:48:14 PM »
"If you can ONLY get into a non-ABA, you shouldn't be a lawyer IMO.  That would suggest you can't get into Cooley, and Cooley would accept Corky from that TV show back in the day."

That comment was uncalled for.

zemog

• Sr. Citizen
  • Evening PT 2L at a third tier toilet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2004, 03:36:47 PM »
I heard that if you graduate from a non-aba school but practice 5 years in your state, then you can then sit on the bar in any state. 

the major difference is that a JD from an ABA approved school allows you to take the bar in any state.  Non-ABA JDs are limited -- usually -- to a single state.

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2004, 04:05:24 PM »
It varies from state to state.  It depends on the relationship between the state and Tennessee.  Some states will not let non-ABA JD's practice ever.

Some require 3 years, others 5, 7 and some even 10 years.

I heard that if you graduate from a non-aba school but practice 5 years in your state, then you can then sit on the bar in any state. 

Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +