Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Housing at UFL  (Read 1631 times)

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
Re: Housing at UFL
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2004, 11:42:38 PM »
Your best bet is to conatct a real estate agent once you are there.  While most people do not realize this, real estate agents actually do work with people seeking rental properties (houses or apartments) and the person seeking housing doesn't have to pay the agent a dime.  Yep, that's right!  The agent will be paid by the management of the rental property you select (all apartments must pay referral fees to agents).  It's free and is, by far, the best way to get expert help from someone who is familiar with the area and pricing.  Good luck!

omzink131

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2004, 02:26:02 PM »
Thanks all. This is very helpful. I live up in DC right now and won't be down to FL until Thanksgiving. I was hoping to sign a lease somewhere at that time. I just hope places will still be available then...

corleone

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2004, 02:37:00 PM »
note to the original poster:

the school is commonly refered to as UF (not UFL or FU)... u might want to get at least that much down before arriving in G-Vegas

There is a free service in Gainesville called apartment hunters... use it...

Eat at Burrito Brothers, nuff said

chris

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2004, 05:51:25 PM »
 " Eat at Burrito Brothers, nuff said "

i second that...and mellow mushroom. ah good times.

dgatl

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2004, 01:08:06 AM »
Thanks all. This is very helpful. I live up in DC right now and won't be down to FL until Thanksgiving. I was hoping to sign a lease somewhere at that time. I just hope places will still be available then...

don't worry about availability.  I worked extensively in student government with the apartment complexes in Gainesville.  The average occupancy is around 71%.  You can play hardball with them in November.  They will be ready to provide you with oral sex if you sign a lease with them.

Apartment Hunters is a great service and its free.  Its at the corner of University Ave and 13th.

BTW, when you get there, please immediately go to Copper Monkey and have one of their f-ing amazing burgers.  I miss them.  I really miss them.

And people act like the Thai place down 13th is good but its not.  Its just that people in Gspot try and act like they are being trendy by eating at chop stix.

proudtobirish

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2004, 12:11:09 PM »
I have another questions somewhat related to housing.  Is a car essential for getting around Gainesville?  Will I be screwed if I don't have one?

dgatl

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2004, 12:51:14 PM »
I have another questions somewhat related to housing.  Is a car essential for getting around Gainesville?  Will I be screwed if I don't have one?

In my opinion, you need a car.  Public transport is great in gainesville - for getting to campus and back home (and if you so choose, to get to the clubs and back at night).  But for grocery shopping, randomly going out to eat, getting to the airport you will need a car.  When I didn't have a car, it was a pain in the ass to go get groceries.

chris

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2004, 06:05:35 PM »
ditto.
you beat me to it.

yeah, you need a car.

dgatl

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2004, 04:16:55 AM »
i was just telling a girl in the pre-law page that if you don't have a car then consider getting a ghetto motorbike or scooter.  lots of UF people use those, and honestly, in "run hour" traffic, you'll zoom by everyone in the bike lane.