Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do u get called on once or more than once???  (Read 48937 times)

Roadscholarus

• View Profile
Re: Do u get called on once or more than once???
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2006, 11:48:52 PM »
My property professor once called on 45 students in one hour! His norm was around 15. One guy was called on EVERY CLASS except twice from Aug-May! If a student wasn't prepared > he/she could expect to be called on for two weeks straight > at the exact second the clock struck 9am when class started > and the question would be regarding some minor fact buried in the case "If this were 1500 in England, how would a court apply the law to the housekeeper 'finding' the bracelet in a room unoccupied the past 20 years"?

Real answer: "I was up till 3am doing my legal research assignment, and I could care less"

Usual answer: "I apologize professor, but I'm not quite sure."

Professor: "You are unprepared, show me your brief"!

1sweetworld4136

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2006, 01:52:33 PM »
My torts professor from last semester called on me six times, four of which were consecutive.  Also, it was traditional socratic method and not modified, which is actually used throughout most law schools.  Traditional is where you are called on for the ENTIRE class.  The professor will usually allow you a minute or two to compose your thoughts.  In my case, I'm quite sure this professor hated my guts (for what reason, I do not know).  The questions got to a point that they were overly rhetorical and almost irrelevant.  Someone told me that the reason that I was called on so many times was that I was one of the better speakers in the class and knowledgeable.  I doubt that.  In addition, I was the only student she used the traditional socratic method on for the entire semester.  The room would always get very quiet when she called on me.  I rather liked it...it's almost of preview of things to come in the real world.  Bring it.
In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act.

~George Orwell

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

~Martin Luther King, Jr

anaphasis

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 12, 2006, 07:11:03 PM »

Socrates was nothing else but a despicable pederast who was put to death for that!

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,26494.msg810072.html#msg810072

Please do not be judgmental!

And yes, Socrates was heavily into gay sex! In fact, it was through Plato's Symposium and Phaedrus that Socrates has exercised his most potent influenceon the gay imagination. In these two dialogues, Socrates examines how love begins in the erotic passion of an older man for a beautiful boy.

Socrates, as represented in Plato's writings, appears to have favored chaste pederastic relationships, marked by a balance between desire and self-control. He pointedly criticized purely physical infatuations, for example by mocking Critias' lust for Euthydemus by comparing his behavior towards the boy to that of a "a piglet scratching itself against a rock" (Xenophon, Memorabilia 1.2.29-30). That, however, did not prevent him from frequenting the boy brothels, from which he bought and freed his future friend and student, Phaedo, nor from describing his erotic intoxication upon glimpsing the beautiful Charmides' naked body beneath his open tunic (Plato, Charmides 155c-e).

Socrates' love of Alcibiades, which was more than reciprocated, is held as an example of chaste pederasty. His desire for the boy is commented upon in several texts. In Plato's Gorgias,481d, Socrates asserts that he is "in love with two objects Ś Alcibiades, son of Clinias, and philosophy." In his Protagoras, 309a, Socrates is teased for his infatuation, "Where have you come from Socrates? No doubt from pursuit of the captivating Alcibiades ... He's actually growing a beard." Socrates replies, "What of it? Aren't you an enthusiast for Homer, who says that the most charming age is that of the youth with his first beard, just the age of Alcibiades now?" But in the Symposium it comes out that despite his love for the youth, and despite the desperate advances of Alcibiades, who craves to have Socrates as a lover in every sense of the word, Socrates spends the night in bed with Alcibiades without satisfying his beloved's desires, and their mutual love remains chaste.

Plutarch and Xenophon, in their descriptions of Spartan pederasty, state that even though it is the beautiful boys who are sought above all others (contrary to the Cretan traditions), nevertheless the pederastic couple remains chaste. In his Lacaedemonian Republic (II, 13), Plutarch goes so far as to assert that for an erastes to desire his eromenos would be as shameful as for a father to desire his own son. Nonetheless, the opinion on the Athenian street was at variance: The sexual character of Spartan pederasty was a running gag in the repertoire of Athenian comedians, and the verb λακωνίζς / lak˘nÝz˘ ("to do it the Lacedaemonian way) took on the meaning of "to sodomize."

Although philosophers have - even to this day - studiously attempted to ignore the forthright homosexual love that is the basis of the Phaedrus and Symposium, gay readers have always found their way to these texts. What they have discovered there has often struck them with the force of revelation. Socrates was born in 469 B.C. in the Greek city-state of Athens. In 399 B.C. he was tried on charges of corrupting the morals of Athenian youth and for religious heresies. He steadfastly denied guilt and was executed by poisoning.

I rank Socrates as the most influential gay person in history because of the essential philosophic underpinnings he provided - and has continued to provide - for gay men and women's search for identity and self-knowledge.

There's certainly no "class" gay people take, or "rule book" they are given, to "train" them to be gay. They are not abused in any way when they were younger, it was completely natural, they just prefer another man as opposed to a woman. Have those who are sickened by two men kissing each other in public, or holding one another's hand, ever considered how their heterosexual "flamboyance" might be perceived? All gay men see, everywhere, are heterosexuals flaunting their "straightness" -- it gets to be rather old after a while ..........

The point with that above ... before straight people as majority start spouting off about those damn "fags" ... why don't straights consider how THEIR BEHAVIOUR appears first? .......... Gays are not going to throw a fit when they see some overt display of heterosexuality in public, so straights best not spaz out if they happen to see gays kissing their boyfriends at the museum ........ otherwise ........ Again, gays have to deal with heterosexuals fawning upon one another, straight people will have to deal with men who decide to show affection. Well, as you see, gay people don't support the double standard in which heterosexuals can do whatever they'd like together in public, but gays are supposed to "keep it at home" ............

Gay pride parades are disgusting; and many gay people would never find themselves attending one. Those people are very atypical of your average gay/lesbian. Oh, and being gay isn't a "lifestyle." People ignorantly confuse the "club lifestyle" that a small percentage of gay people partipate in, and viewing that as how every gay behaves. This is simply not true. You want to know what lifestyle the majority of gay people have? You may want to think, e.g., of the office guy, telecomuting, what have you, you know, typical grey collar sort of person. There's nothing at all there that is different from probably a vast majority of other people here. You want to know that ONE difference? At the end of the day, his loved one is a guy.

Those who scream about "special rights" are sadly uninformed. It's all about being afforded the same rights under the law that any heterosexual man would be given. A gay man doesn't want any special treatment. He wants to be able to have a legally binding commitment, just as heterosexuals would. Imagine, you love someone greatly, and there's an auto accident. The hospital REFUSES to allow you to see your loved one, because "legally" you are not family. You see, without the genders and the sexuality involved, it's an awful situation. You want to be able to extend your health insurance to your "spouse" just as a heterosexual man would be able to do with his wife. And, sure, you'd like to have the tax relief that married individuals have too. There's nothing at all special there. It's just receiving the SAME rights that heterosexuals have.

If a gay man could take a pill to magically make him straight, would he take it?

Most likely no.

If he were given a choice at birth, or before puberty, whatever, would he have chosen to be heterosexual?

Most likely no.

You see, many gay people are proud of themselves. They're proud of who they have become too. The basic thing is, you know far more gay people than you think, you probably just don't know they're gay. The majority of them are just plain folks, they just choose to love someone of their own gender. Gays agree not to be revolted when they see heterosexuals flaunting their straightness, can straight people agree to leave them do the same?

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2006, 09:47:01 AM »
My property professor once called on 45 students in one hour! His norm was around 15. One guy was called on EVERY CLASS except twice from Aug-May! If a student wasn't prepared > he/she could expect to be called on for two weeks straight > at the exact second the clock struck 9am when class started > and the question would be regarding some minor fact buried in the case "If this were 1500 in England, how would a court apply the law to the housekeeper 'finding' the bracelet in a room unoccupied the past 20 years"?

Real answer: "I was up till 3am doing my legal research assignment, and I could care less"

Usual answer: "I apologize professor, but I'm not quite sure."

Professor: "You are unprepared, show me your brief"!

Damn dude that sucks. I've never heard of a prof checking to see if you've briefed the case. Are a lot of your professors like this? I've been called on 4 times last semester in torts, and once in each of my other classes, basically taking me off the hook for the remainer of the semester. At my school, if you don't know something, you take a pass and most teachers dont ask questions...and while they have the option of docking your attendance, I'd be inclined to say that almost all the first year teachers dont do this. Does anyone else have any real a-hole profs?

homosexual congress

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2006, 07:22:58 PM »

Several of my friends adopt another strategy if called on but are unprepared: they just sit there without saying a word so that the pro will think they're absent.

LOL ;)
If all Jews are bankers, then how can they be Communists too?

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2006, 01:31:42 PM »
One class where a prof. would move quickly, people would say "excuse me, I didn't hear the question", hoping that she'd move on to another person who possibly did 'hear' the question.

fuisse

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: July 25, 2006, 08:56:55 PM »
You also get "Let me look that up after class and I'll get back to you."

manilafullof

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 27, 2006, 02:56:17 AM »
hahaha

i

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2006, 06:10:03 PM »

Socrates was nothing else but a despicable pederast who was put to death for that!

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,26494.msg810072.html#msg810072

Socrates suffered from ADD -- his penchant for gay sex may well be attributed to his disease ..

schooly

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 15, 2006, 02:41:51 AM »
LOL I! ;)