Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do u get called on once or more than once???  (Read 47361 times)

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Do u get called on once or more than once???
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2004, 10:59:04 PM »
Lawgirl, since reading this board I have seen all the great advice you have given.  I know everyone studies differently and different things work better for different people, but I am curious as to your approach to finals.  How many days do you devote to memorizing and how much to practicing exam answers?  Do you have any advice about how to best approach/prepare for writing good exams answers and yet be able to finish within the time alloted?  I felt really good about the first half of my answer on an exam today but not so confident on the last portion because of the time crunch. 

As far as memorizing, it usually takes me about three days per class. I have a final this Wednesday and I started studying my outline on Sunday. This technique is just for one subject at a time. On the first day, I carefully go through each section of the outline for one subject. I separate it out into main topics, focus on one topic for understanding and then focus on it again to see if I can start reciting that one topic from memory (ex: Criminal Procedure, pre-trial release). I do this several times until I feel like I have a good grasp on the material, can see where the subtopics break up, and have a fairly good recall of my outline. It also helps to make notes out to the side to pare down the main idea from a paragraph to a few sentences or a few poionts.

Then I move onto the next topic and do the same thing for all topics. I only try to memorize one topic at a time until I get through the entire outline. On that day, I don't try to recite the whole thing from memory yet, just each individual section

The second day, I go back through and practice memorizing the topics again separately, but toward the end of the day, I try to recite the entire outline from memory. I do this by thinking about it, writing it down, typing it, charting it, etc. (whatever helps you). The third day I just work on reciting the whole thing from memory, again thinking about it/typing/charting, etc.

I haven't tried it yet, but I did hear about a technique for memorizing. It involves memorizing the rooms in your house and attaching a memory to rooms and physical objects in the house. Ex: memorize all of the things in the living room. Use that room for one subject (Criminal Procedure), attach the memory of the sections of your outline to specific physical things in the living room. Ex: an entertainment center might hold all of your memories for 6th Amendment trial rights, and all of the stuff you have in/on the entertainment center might make up the parts of that specific section. I may try it for another final I have later. It is supposed to let you visually walk through the room and recall things easier. I don't know. I'll let you know how it works out.

As for practice exams. I hate to say it, but I do them if I have time, usually the last day. I should spend more time on them and I would say it is a good idea, I just don't always have time.

As far as timing on your exams. At the beginning of the exam, write down your start and end times. Then look at how many sections you have and the points alloted for each and divide up your time according to how the sections are weighted. Write those times down and STICK TO THEM. No matter what, get out of a section when you need to. You will have a better chance of having time left that way rather than just winging it. I have done that from my very first exam and I have never run out of time. I would always like to have more time, but I always finish.

Hopefully, that will help you.
If you need anything else, let me know.

SLJ0720

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2004, 11:10:23 PM »
Great advice.  Thanks. 

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2004, 10:59:36 AM »
Last night in contracts, two people who had briefed before were called on.

I have yet to be called on in any class.
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

DOWNY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2004, 06:41:04 PM »
That's absurd Joe. Maybe everyone hates you? I mean look at your popularity on this board- soon you could be as despised as the nefarious DOWNY. Are you excited?

Burning Sands

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2004, 08:15:13 PM »
I think I've been called on the most in Crim, just b/c the professor is like that with everybody. 

My property professor is very random and when she calls on you, she stays on you for the entire day.  If she gets you into a ping-pong situation and you don't know the answer she'll wait on YOU and will tell everybody else to put their hands down.  so needless to say, I stayed prepared for property throughout the semester.

K never called on anybody, thus I learned the least in that class.

Torts - he keeps it pretty active so usually there are a lot of hands to any question he asks.

Take my first law school exam (K) thursday so tell you how it went on friday...
Burning Sands

IHEARTLS

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2004, 09:44:12 PM »
I think I've been called on the most in Crim, just b/c the professor is like that with everybody. 

My property professor is very random and when she calls on you, she stays on you for the entire day.  If she gets you into a ping-pong situation and you don't know the answer she'll wait on YOU and will tell everybody else to put their hands down.  so needless to say, I stayed prepared for property throughout the semester.

K never called on anybody, thus I learned the least in that class.

Torts - he keeps it pretty active so usually there are a lot of hands to any question he asks.

Take my first law school exam (K) thursday so tell you how it went on friday...

Contracts: Twice and he stayed on me the whole time.

Torts: TOO many times to name.  Sometimes she'd just be talking, "The blah blah blah blah...what do you think Whitney?" 

Crim: I was 1 of 10 people called on throughout the semester.

Property: 3 times and they were very short questions.  A "co-counsel" question and a FI problem.

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2005, 10:37:10 PM »
More then four months into the process and I have not been called on even once in any of my classes. 

DOWNY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2005, 12:31:39 AM »
More then four months into the process and I have not been called on even once in any of my classes. 

Sorry, but if this is true your law school is doing you a disservice. I have been called on at least 3 times in every class, and more than 10 times in one class. I can't imagine the classes at NSL are so large as to render being called on rare. Maybe the Socratic Method is not as widely used there?

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2005, 10:13:47 AM »
We started with over 100 in each 1L section.

We use the socratic method all the time.  I don't know why I haven't been called to brief, but -- as you might imagine -- I've spoken in class a number of times.

Sorry, but if this is true your law school is doing you a disservice. I have been called on at least 3 times in every class, and more than 10 times in one class. I can't imagine the classes at NSL are so large as to render being called on rare. Maybe the Socratic Method is not as widely used there?

Coregram

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2005, 10:22:07 AM »
I can imagine Prof. Kingsfield:

"Downy....Fill this room with your intelligence!"

LOL