Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do u get called on once or more than once???  (Read 49227 times)

DOWNY

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Do u get called on once or more than once???
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2004, 01:45:51 AM »
What have you people seen happen when somebody gets called on, they are not prepared, etc.  Spill it.  Anybody pee their pants?  Just freeze up?  I used to be so afraid of being called on that I couldn't even focus on the lecture, let alone the question asked of me.

You spill the stories, I'll reveal the trick.  Deal?

Yeah, this one kid in my class was called on and he looked all scared and his eyes got real wide. He didn't say anything. Then, all at the same time, he pissed his pants, shat himself, and vomitted all over the back of a girl's head who was sitting in front of him. The disgusting display caused the people next to him and the people who were hit by the puke to vomit as well. This caused a chain reaction whereby 10 or 15 people all started throwing up everywhere, all over laptops, on people's heads, everywhere

HTH

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2004, 09:27:57 AM »
Yeah, this one kid in my class was called on and he looked all scared and his eyes got real wide. He didn't say anything. Then, all at the same time, he pissed his pants, shat himself, and vomitted all over the back of a girl's head who was sitting in front of him. The disgusting display caused the people next to him and the people who were hit by the puke to vomit as well. This caused a chain reaction whereby 10 or 15 people all started throwing up everywhere, all over laptops, on people's heads, everywhere

HTH
Dude...I loved that part of "Stand by Me".

kristin1644

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2004, 07:15:57 PM »
Most of my professors go by the seating chart and make sure they call on everyone once before they start back through it again.  Professor contracts if very methodical.  He goes down rows, so you know if your row isn't called on first you are safe for the day.  Professor Civ Pro would slyly get someone to volunteer at the beginning of class on an easy question, then he would grill that person for the rest of the class.  Professor Property only calls on you once, but it is haphazard, so until you've been called on, you never know when your turn is coming. Professor Torts randomly calls on people, even those who've already had their turn, so we can never be sure when its coming. 

One thing that keeps me sane is that we have blind grading at our school, so I could do horribly in class and end up fine in the end. 

I've never seen anyone actually freeze up and not be able to say anything, but I have seen people just bull$*it their way through and the prof has called them on it--nothing too serious comes of it, and the whole class gets to have a good laugh.

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2004, 06:14:00 PM »
What have you people seen happen when somebody gets called on, they are not prepared, etc.  Spill it.  Anybody pee their pants?  Just freeze up?  I used to be so afraid of being called on that I couldn't even focus on the lecture, let alone the question asked of me.

HTH

You are starting to annoy me DOWNY.
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

SLJ0720

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2004, 06:42:52 PM »
Torts - 4 times
Property - 2 times
Criminal - 4 times
Contracts - 7 times

DOWNY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2004, 08:59:19 PM »

HTH

You are starting to annoy me DOWNY.

STFU

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2004, 10:31:42 PM »

HTH

Downy, you made me laugh and I needed it. I was a little stressed tonight.

SLJ0720

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2004, 10:37:54 PM »
What did everyone think before they started law school about the socratic method?  I envisioned being called on almost every day.  I know this wasn't reasonable due to the # of people in the class, but I thought the worst.  Plus at orientation I think 2nd years made it sound much worse than it really is.  I didn't imagine before starting that there would be some classes where I would only be called on a few times through the entire semester.  

SLJ0720

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2004, 10:42:50 PM »
Lawgirl, since reading this board I have seen all the great advice you have given.  I know everyone studies differently and different things work better for different people, but I am curious as to your approach to finals.  How many days do you devote to memorizing and how much to practicing exam answers?  Do you have any advice about how to best approach/prepare for writing good exams answers and yet be able to finish within the time alloted?  I felt really good about the first half of my answer on an exam today but not so confident on the last portion because of the time crunch. 

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2004, 10:44:09 PM »
I thought it would be worse than it actually is. I thought I would get called on more than I did. I normally only get called on once (twice at the most) during the semester. I've had probably one or two classes where I never got called on to do the Socratic method. Anymore, it seems like the only time it can turn into a nightmare is if you just don't prepare or when you piss the prof of for some reason. I saw that happen once to someone, it wasn't pretty.