Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Do u get called on once or more than once???  (Read 49031 times)

LawJockey

• View Profile
    • LawThug.Com
    • Email
Re: Do u get called on once or more than once???
« Reply #60 on: November 07, 2005, 06:56:26 PM »
Lately, I get called upon in class on the days I'm the least prepared or the most confused. 
Looking for FREE MP3 Audio of Cases?:  AudioCaseBook.Com

runaroundrachel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2005, 03:29:47 PM »
I got called on 3 times in 3 class periods... I think my teacher liked what I had to say, and kept pressing me to change my mind... after 3 class periods of him trying to convince me to back down he said "and the MPC agrees with you" and that was that... i love crim...

yon

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2005, 09:46:25 PM »
Several of my friends adopt another strategy if called on but are unprepared: they just sit there without saying a word so that the pro will think they're absent.

LOL ;)

Trancer

• Sr. Citizen
  • Conan the Republican!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2005, 05:55:50 AM »
Well they have a seat chart and usually they do it at random, sometimes it doesnt seem to random though... my Torts professor conforms to your previous experience... we have an RN in our class so whenever something really technical about medicine comes up he always calls on him.
Its not the size of the army that counts, its the fury of the onslaught.
Seton Hall, August 05

usinu

• View Profile
Sappho: famous Greek poetess of lyric poetry. Only a few fragments survive.
« Reply #64 on: November 29, 2005, 10:14:23 PM »
If you want to become a licensed attorney, chances are you will be confronted with the Socratic method, pederast or no.

The question to be answered, though, is what is a female private part like you doing amidst pederasts? Or is it that you cant figure out that pederasts do not like females?! It is because of this that people say that law ain't for girls ...

Sappho (Attic Greek Σαπφώ Sapph, Aeolic Greek Ψάπφα Psappha) was an Ancient Greek lyric poet from the city of Eressos on the island of Lesbos, which was a cultural centre in the 7th century BC. She was born sometime between 630 BC and 612 BC. The bulk of her poetry is now lost, but her reputation in her time was immense, and she was reputedly considered by Plato as the tenth Muse.

Sappho, daughter of Scamander and Cles, was married (Attic comedy says to a wealthy merchant, but that is apocryphal) and had a daughter also named Cles. She became very famous in her day for her poetry so much so that the city of Syracuse built a statue to honor her when she visited. Her family was politically active, which caused Sappho to travel a great deal. She was also noted during her life as the headmistress of a sort of Greek finishing school for girls. Most likely the objects of her poetry were her students. Sappho had three brothers, married and had at least one daughter, was exiled to Syracuse for political reasons, returned in 581 BC, and died in old age.

She was one of the canonical nine lyric poets of archaic Greece. Older critics sometimes alleged that she led an aesthetic movement away from typical themes of gods, to the themes of individual human experiences and emotions, but it is now considered more likely that her work belongs in a long tradition of Lesbian poetry, and is simply among the first to have been recorded in writing. Some of her love poems were addressed to women. The word lesbian itself is derived from the name of the island of Lesbos from which she came. (Her name is also the origin of its much rarer synonym sapphic).

In ancient and medieval times she was famous for (according to legend) throwing herself off a cliff due to unrequited love for a male sailor named Phaon. This legend dates to Ovid and Lucian in Ancient Rome and certainly is not a Christian overlay. The 3rd Century philosopher Maximus of Tyre wrote that Sappho was "small and dark" and that her relationships to her female friends were similar to those of Socrates:

"What else was the love of the Lesbian woman except Socrates' art of love? For they seem to me to have practiced love each in their own way, she that of women, he that of men. For they say that both loved many and were captivated by all things beautiful. What Alcibiades and Charmides and Phaedrus were to him, Gyrinna and Atthis and Anactoria were to the Lesbian"

obviously

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2005, 10:12:56 AM »
but they will remember that "Ms. X was too big of a p u s s y to answer when she was being called on."

I believe the hypo above assumed that nobody in that particular class knew your name or who you were ... But I agree, submitting to the sadistic questioning the Socratic method involves builds character and makes a better puppy out of you!

Socrates was nothing else but a despicable pederast who was put to death for that!

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,26494.msg810072.html#msg810072

Please do not be judgmental!

And yes, Socrates was heavily into gay sex! In fact, it was through Plato's Symposium and Phaedrus that Socrates has exercised his most potent influenceon the gay imagination. In these two dialogues, Socrates examines how love begins in the erotic passion of an older man for a beautiful boy.

Socrates, as represented in Plato's writings, appears to have favored chaste pederastic relationships, marked by a balance between desire and self-control. He pointedly criticized purely physical infatuations, for example by mocking Critias' lust for Euthydemus by comparing his behavior towards the boy to that of a "a piglet scratching itself against a rock" (Xenophon, Memorabilia 1.2.29-30). That, however, did not prevent him from frequenting the boy brothels, from which he bought and freed his future friend and student, Phaedo, nor from describing his erotic intoxication upon glimpsing the beautiful Charmides' naked body beneath his open tunic (Plato, Charmides 155c-e).

Socrates' love of Alcibiades, which was more than reciprocated, is held as an example of chaste pederasty. His desire for the boy is commented upon in several texts. In Plato's Gorgias,481d, Socrates asserts that he is "in love with two objects Alcibiades, son of Clinias, and philosophy." In his Protagoras, 309a, Socrates is teased for his infatuation, "Where have you come from Socrates? No doubt from pursuit of the captivating Alcibiades ... He's actually growing a beard." Socrates replies, "What of it? Aren't you an enthusiast for Homer, who says that the most charming age is that of the youth with his first beard, just the age of Alcibiades now?" But in the Symposium it comes out that despite his love for the youth, and despite the desperate advances of Alcibiades, who craves to have Socrates as a lover in every sense of the word, Socrates spends the night in bed with Alcibiades without satisfying his beloved's desires, and their mutual love remains chaste.

Plutarch and Xenophon, in their descriptions of Spartan pederasty, state that even though it is the beautiful boys who are sought above all others (contrary to the Cretan traditions), nevertheless the pederastic couple remains chaste. In his Lacaedemonian Republic (II, 13), Plutarch goes so far as to assert that for an erastes to desire his eromenos would be as shameful as for a father to desire his own son. Nonetheless, the opinion on the Athenian street was at variance: The sexual character of Spartan pederasty was a running gag in the repertoire of Athenian comedians, and the verb λακωνίζς / laknz ("to do it the Lacedaemonian way) took on the meaning of "to sodomize."

Although philosophers have - even to this day - studiously attempted to ignore the forthright homosexual love that is the basis of the Phaedrus and Symposium, gay readers have always found their way to these texts. What they have discovered there has often struck them with the force of revelation. Socrates was born in 469 B.C. in the Greek city-state of Athens. In 399 B.C. he was tried on charges of corrupting the morals of Athenian youth and for religious heresies. He steadfastly denied guilt and was executed by poisoning.

I rank Socrates as the most influential gay person in history because of the essential philosophic underpinnings he provided - and has continued to provide - for gay men and women's search for identity and self-knowledge.
- How do you separate the men from the boys?
- With a crowbar.

primadonna greta garbo

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2005, 01:36:18 AM »
Obviously, please don't make us love law more than we already do! Please! ;)

denna

• View Profile

cherry coke

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 15, 2005, 06:30:05 AM »
good idea denna

cuteprincess

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2006, 02:52:08 AM »
Love?  Dang, I LOVE law school. Why you don't?  I just can't wait to read my cases into the wee night until my eyes burn red.  I love to ditch my friends and family to greet Mr. Gilbert and Mr. Emmanuel in our wonderful conversations.

I love growing bald from stress.  Hair, who needs it?  Especially on a woman.

Yeah, law school is the best.