Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Transferring after L1  (Read 826 times)

burghblast

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tforsean
    • View Profile
Transferring after L1
« on: September 04, 2004, 10:56:15 AM »
I'm a 26 year old computer engineer who will be applying to law schools next month for admission in Fall 2005.  I'm taking the October LSAT, and I expect my score to be in the low-to-mid 170s.  My undergrad GPA at Penn State was only 2.86.  I've been crunching the numbers, and even with the most optimistic assessment of how any of the top adcoms would weight my major, work experience, LSAT, LOR's, and personal statement, it really looks like my undergrad performance will preclude me from getting into any of the top schools.  I hadn't planned on going to Yale or Harvard, but someplace in the top 15 would have been nice.  It does look like I should be able to get into a couple schools in the top 30 though.  So my question is, would it be possible for me to transfer from a top 30 school to a top 15 after my first year, assuming I aced all my classes, had solid extracurricular activities, etc?  How do transfers work?  Will any of the top schools allow you to transfer in after your first year at a lesser school?

David Bakody

• LSAT 151 GPA 3.53
    • View Profile
Re: Transferring after L1
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2004, 02:31:25 PM »
If you really do score in the 170's you stand a very good chance to going to a range of top-tier schools, and certainly lower T1 and higher T2 schools.  The single most important credential will be your LSAT, not your GPA.  The fact that your UG is from a pretty good school certainly helps, despite your GPA.  Granted, Harvard might not happen, but I wouldn't rule it out either - you should still consider applying if your LSAT is in the mid 170's.

Yes.  Transferring is certainly possible.  Lawgirl is a good example.  She went to the much maligned Cooley like yours truly and I believe moved way, way, way upstream after a few semesters.

If I do well enough I might transfer as well, but more for geographic reasons than anything  else (my entire family is in Arizona - it'd be nice to move back).