Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anybody transfer out of Cooley Law School??  (Read 4340 times)

Jennifer10

• View Profile
Anybody transfer out of Cooley Law School??
« on: September 04, 2004, 01:14:15 AM »
I'm just curious- has anybody done it?  I'm looking to hear from people who actually did it!

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Anybody transfer out of Cooley Law School??
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2004, 10:20:08 AM »
I did. What do you want to know?

David Bakody

• LSAT 151 GPA 3.53
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2004, 02:27:45 PM »
Lawgirl - What made you decide to leave Cooley?  Was it simply a matter of getting to go to a top tier school and the opportunity it provides, or was it something about Cooley itself?

Cooley seems to have excellent facilities, the profs seem ok (some are better than others), and the price is/was certainly right (I have a partial scholarship).  I do like what seems to be their very non-elitist attitude and *very* diverse student body.

I am glad to hear you made it into ... Michigan?  Have I got that right?

Cheers.

Jennifer10

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2004, 02:53:03 PM »
Hi David-
Did u just start this Fall?  Where are u orginally from? What campus are u at?, etc., etc.

David Bakody

• LSAT 151 GPA 3.53
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2004, 03:17:39 PM »
Jennifer - I'm at the Lansing campus.  At first I had planned on going to Grand Rapids, but thought long-term I'd be better off at Lansing.  I relocated from Arizona.  Yes, I just started.

Jennifer10

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2004, 04:20:29 PM »
David- I assumed u decided on Cooley for the scholarship?  May I ask your GPA & LSATs score?

David Bakody

• LSAT 151 GPA 3.53
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2004, 05:55:49 PM »
My GPA was a 3.51 and my LSAT was a very hohum 151.

Jennifer10

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2004, 06:15:27 PM »
Are u going to stay there or transfer?

Now, does pretty much anybody get accepted?  I mean have they rejected anyone ever?

David Bakody

• LSAT 151 GPA 3.53
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2004, 08:03:14 PM »
The only school I will look at possibly transferring into is ASU or U of A, but that has nothing to do with the rankings game and everything to do with my family living in Arizona.  Aside from that, it is my intention to stay and stick it out at Cooley.

The acceptance rate is Cooley seems to be edging downward a tad bit, but they still cast a wide net.  I believe 58% of all applicants are granted admission.  So, yes, many people are turned away, but more are accepted than declined.

The minimum required LSAT score for 2004 is/was I think 144.  However, your GPA also factors into the admission formula and I'm sure some exceptions to the rule are made.

For some, Cooley is the ticket for where they want to go.  For others, I suppose it can be an expensive death trap.  It serves a role that I think is rather noble and missing with the balance of ABA law schools - it gives a lot of people a chance who otherwise would not have had a shot at being a lawyer.

Cooley has a high attrition rate - around 50% as I recall.  Out of that 50%, about half are people who moved on to other schools, and the other half flunked out or quit.  What strikes me is not the number of people who flunk out, but the number of people who actually manage to transfer into T1 and T2 ranked schools after 1L at Cooley.

Jim

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2004, 11:58:09 PM »
I transfered out to Notre Dame, but that was a long time ago :>