Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Character and Fitness Review- Negative Mark on Credit  (Read 1271 times)

vtgirl

• View Profile
Character and Fitness Review- Negative Mark on Credit
« on: September 03, 2004, 09:21:39 PM »
I had to break a lease in 2001 due to rodent infestation. The Landlord was notified a number of times via email, via phone and in person of the problem but did not fix the problem and refused to pay for an exterminator. The other tenants and I decided to break the lease as allowed under the state law for inhabitability. A year later, the landlord filed with a collection agency against me for 6k (the remainder of the lease). I have talked to lawyers about the problem but cannot afford to bring a suit against her. I have been advised that the statute of limiations will run out in fall of 2005. Meanwhile, I graduate law school 5/06 and will be taking the bar in june 06 or feb 07. Will this ruin me for the character and fitness review? I have impeccable credit otherwise and no other marks against me.

David Bakody

• LSAT 151 GPA 3.53
    • View Profile
Re: Character and Fitness Review- Negative Mark on Credit
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2004, 02:40:14 PM »
It might come up, but I don't think this will jettison your admission.  Most of what I've learned thus far about the character aspect of entrance to the bar has to do with candor and properly explaining/dealing with a criminal background providing such a thing exists.  If this is the worst thing on your record, I don't think you need to be overly concerned.  Still... if it makes you feel better, consider disclosing the matter to your law school and have it placed in your file.

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 12:24:52 AM »
What about this - I worked a couple of jobs under the table.  Will they care about this?  (I will be 26 when I apply for bar admission and these jobs were from when I was 21, 5 years before).  I can't see how they would care.

Burning Sands

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2004, 05:16:49 PM »
They tell us that its better to disclose everything that you can NOW before they have a chance to try and bring it up to throw in your face, and besides your case doesn't seem so bad. It actually sounds like an exam question...
Burning Sands