Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: flashlaw software  (Read 5723 times)

canuck

• View Profile
    • Email
flashlaw software
« on: September 02, 2004, 12:59:34 AM »
long time no talk board.  it's been hectic, and i've been a bit overwhelmed in my first two weeks.  today we got this software called Flashlaw.

it's from Aspen, and these Yale law grads made a program for briefing, note taking, statute writing, outlining, and even self-generated quizes.  i'm not trying to sell it, cuz we got it for free.  but any and all of you should look into it.  the best part is that it sorts everything by legal concept.

no more cut and pasting my briefs to my classnotes to generate my outline.  check it out and good luck to you all!
Headed to Hofstra in August!

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
Re: flashlaw software
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2004, 09:20:06 AM »
Can  you compare this to storelaw?
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

canuck

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2004, 01:53:00 PM »
hey JeffJoe,

is storelaw the one from West?  i was going to download it b/c i get a 100 points from Westlaw (to get free stuff with) but then they make you pay for it after 15 days.

findlaw is offering us a year's service for free until July.  sorry i couldn't compare, financial constraints.

Headed to Hofstra in August!

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2004, 02:06:07 PM »
hey JeffJoe,

is storelaw the one from West?  i was going to download it b/c i get a 100 points from Westlaw (to get free stuff with) but then they make you pay for it after 15 days.

findlaw is offering us a year's service for free until July.  sorry i couldn't compare, financial constraints.

I don't think it is from West.  I notice the offer of 100 points.  It showed up two days after I bought storelaw.

I was just wondering if you had looked at storelaw and could compare the two.

Storelaw doesn't generate quizzes, but it gives you a place to brief your cases, add notes and then generate an outline based on the briefs.  It provides free outline templates based on the different casebooks.

duma

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2004, 12:37:06 AM »
Yes, it is from West... well kinda. Westlaw is providing 100points for downloading the demo of SL.

Nauset

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004, 02:54:39 PM »
FlashLaw is much more diverse than StoreLaw. StoreLaw is a notetaking and outlineing program that provides outline templates for different casebooks. FlashLaw lets you take notes in any sequence or form you want (or your professor wants), and brief cases using its general casebrief form. Then you can search and sort and display all your information any way you want: by date, by class, by concept, by whatever.FOr example, you can view in one screen thumbnails of jsut hte essential info on all case briefs relating to a specific concept. That is great for Socratic discussion in class. FlashLaw also has good study tools. You can  easily transform your casebriefs into quizzes that are scored automaticlly. Or transform your info into flashcards, outlines, and other essential tools. FLashLaw does a lot more than StoreLaw. It serves as a complete home-environment for organizing, displaying, and transforming all your legal study info: notes, briefs, statues, everything.

bsp03

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2004, 09:39:05 PM »
You can download FlashLaw at www.flashlaw.com.

Bina

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2004, 02:11:22 PM »
Aspen is giving away free copies good for one year to get the word out. You can get an access code by calling 877-471-5632 (they answer 24/7).  You can download from www.flashlaw.com.

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2004, 02:55:43 PM »
I just installed this.  It looks interesting.

Anyone know what they mean when they say it's free for one year?

Any idea what it will cost beyond the first year?

Flashlaw does seem to offer a lot more than StoreLaw.  I like what I see so far.  I'm concerned what it will cost later.

steviej

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2004, 05:15:13 PM »
I downloaded it also and realy think it is going to help.  They only warning is be careful of terminology. In the brief section they only have 4 main areas and they uses slightly different meanings than we are using...well maybe.  Seems like each Prof has their own way of briefing and take on the brief terms.