Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Asking questions in class.  (Read 10417 times)

birddog

• View Profile
Re: Asking questions in class.
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2005, 12:43:40 PM »
I used to write down everything the prof said until I realized I never read through my notes.  Now I just write down the questions he says you should ask yourself when confronted with a new hypo - the thought process you should go through.  That's what will come in handy come exam day (and should be fairly universal).

othius

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2005, 11:33:11 PM »
To those who write everything down, does it help you in anyway? In undergrad I usually took copious notes but seldom read through all of them when it came time to study.. especially the classes where the exams were essays. But still I took tons of notes... I found it helped me understand and synthesize..
Any thoughts? Do tons of notes help learn the material?

kristin1644

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2005, 03:47:18 PM »
In my experience its not really the notes that help you learn the stuff.  Outlines are where I learn, but notes are necessary to make the outline.  I usually end up using only about 1/2 of my notes in my outline.  I do find that if I take really good notes, when I go back to add things to my outline I can refresh my memory much better than if I also have to look at case briefs or the cases themselves.  So it is good to take detailed notes, but also understand that you won't use them all to study for finals. 

abomb

• AOL Instant Messenger - smackxcp
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (Abomb's Legalease)
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2005, 09:26:03 AM »
, but notes are necessary to make the outline.  I usually end up using only about 1/2 of my notes in my outline. 
Most people don't get much out of there notes in undergrad because they use them as the end-product in studying, not as a tool like when you outline. If you go into the note-taking process with the knowledge that the notes are not only valuable but essential to creating a workable outline, I would think that your notes would be better, and not just a transcript of everything everyone said. You have to remember, information is given from more than just the professor, other students spout off a lot too, and they're not always correct. Copying down word for word what another student says could get you into trouble later.

pro_se

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2005, 05:57:34 AM »
They just like monologue, not dialogue!

Maybe they just can't engage in dialogue ..

labamba

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2005, 12:12:00 AM »
How can that be possible, pro se? Law professors have been A students!

Todd

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2005, 02:54:42 PM »
Well after a year of law school I learned that taking lots of notes is a good thing. Just make sure you note who is saying what and add your own thoughts. It helps in making outlines because they jog your memory and give you insight into particular cases. I use ctrl-F to search my notes for what I need kind of like a database search, I never go through and read them all.

rapunzel

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2005, 08:18:42 PM »
There is not necessarily any relationship between being an "A" student and being talented at teaching.

JD_MSA

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2005, 09:35:41 AM »
There is not necessarily any relationship between being an "A" student and being talented at teaching.

Amen to that. 

ramanuj

• View Profile
    • Email
Magic
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2005, 07:47:10 AM »
 :D ;D >:(Are you Looking for online data entry jobs, online work, work from home, home business,in India.
It's very simple job. You have to just post some adds on message boards, news group, discussion board, classifieds, on internet.
You can work from home, internet cafe, or your own computer.
Just follow the Simple Steps:  1. Register Free at website "Indian Add Typist"
2. You will get the add content in tips page under members area. Post these text on websites, or mail it to your freinds (avoid spamming)
3. You will earn Rs.2.00 per click one the add/e-mail made by the visitors. If some one will Sign-up as a our paid member readig the add you get, Rs.100.00 
4. All stats are in real time and updated automaically.
You can Earn Min Rs.15,000 per Month just spending 30 min on net.
For details visit website :o
http://g.1asphost.com/addtypistindia/index.asp?ref=ramanuj.tiwari@gmail.com