Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Asking questions in class.  (Read 10537 times)

Todd

• View Profile
Asking questions in class.
« on: August 27, 2004, 09:25:08 PM »
Ok so in my classes we ask tons of questions and give the profs hypos which they usually throws back at us.  We, of course, maddly write (type in my case) down all of them.  How likely is it that the prof will take one of the hypos we came up with and put it or a variation of it on the exam? 

I think they may, because I gave the prof a hypo and she says "that's a good question I think I'll put that on an exam; <pause> not yours of course."  So given that statment can I conclude she wouldn't put a hypo we came up with on an exam or just that specific one?

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
Re: Asking questions in class.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2004, 09:36:14 PM »
I think it is more important to concentrate on the law the hypo illustrates than the hypo.    Study the trees, but see the forest.

I suspect either of the choices you list is possible.  I wouldn't worry about it. You're bound to recognize it, so she probably won't put that specific hypo on the exam.
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

highball

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2004, 03:10:25 PM »
I tune out other people on my IPod when they're asking questions.  All I care about is what the prof says.  Two of my three are pretty old, so I doubt they're getting anything new from the student input.  I'm a bad person, though, so disregard my advice.  Just giving you the input, because I too am amazed by all the future secretaries in my class banging every word into their keyboards.

vw515

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2004, 08:48:34 PM »
I have a professor that my 2L and 3L friends tell me uses some of the hypos on the exam . be able to make a connection between the hypo and the rule of law or else it is worthless. My study group and I are planning o use the hypos to practice the rule of law.

Bina

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2004, 07:05:23 PM »
some of my tests were all hypos, they call it issue spotting.  they give you one long story and you pick out as many issues as possible.  actually its kind of good, because you can show what you know instead of having to answer one question exactly.

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2004, 07:52:06 AM »
As annoying as it may seem sometimes, I almost always pay attention during the hypo frenzy. I look at it as another chance to apply the law to a new set of facts. While the profs seem to rarely use a specific hypo that some student throws out, it is often a new twist on things and that can be a valuable study tool.

baseballjones

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2004, 08:48:30 PM »
I tune out other people on my IPod when they're asking questions.  All I care about is what the prof says.  Two of my three are pretty old, so I doubt they're getting anything new from the student input.  I'm a bad person, though, so disregard my advice.  Just giving you the input, because I too am amazed by all the future secretaries in my class banging every word into their keyboards.

very true I saw a girl type 6 0r 7 single space pages of notes today in class.  When is she ever going to read all that?  What a waste of time.  If she spent half that time actually thinking about the material she'd be better off.

Burning Sands

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2004, 01:55:14 AM »
yeah 10 pages of notes in class is just plain rediculous.  there's no time for all that mess.  Its all about grabing an outline from an upperclassmen who had your professor and using that joker as you go through class.  That's been helping be out a lot.
Burning Sands

DOWNY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2004, 03:13:58 AM »
I f-ing hate gunners. Most of the time they are the stupidest idiots in the class.

JD_MSA

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2004, 08:52:45 AM »

very true I saw a girl type 6 0r 7 single space pages of notes today in class.  When is she ever going to read all that?  What a waste of time.  If she spent half that time actually thinking about the material she'd be better off.

The girl who sits by me in one class types EVERYTHING that the professor says.  Yesterday, the professor stopped mid-sentence to ask if she had remembered to send the attendance sheet around.  I guess this girl wasn't really paying attention to what was going on, because she actually started typing "did I send the attendance . . ."

I never knew holding in a laugh could hurt so much.