Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Voice recorders for recording lectures  (Read 5470 times)

iloveschool

• View Profile
Re: Voice recorders for recording lectures
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2005, 09:59:41 PM »
I just noticed recently that the software that comes with my Panasonic recorder gives you an easy way to divide a voice file into many files.  If anyone is interested, let me know and I'll post some info.

Hello, I just bought a Panasonic RR-US 360, and I have a problem with it. I cannot install it into my computer because I did not know that I need a cd to install it. My cd/dvd player is broken, and I do not want to go buy another one because I just spend $90+ tax on the digital recorder. Is there any other way to install it to my computer? If anyone has the software, and they do not mind sharing it. Would you please email it to ixlovexthao@yahoo.com, so that I can download it from there? Is it even possible to do that? I do not know. Or is there a website that I can go to dl the software, please put the link here. I don't know what to do, I have been looking everywhere, and I have not found a single website that will let me dl it online. This is getting troublesome, but I do not want to return it.

P.S. I also want to learn how to divide files.

lincolnsgrandson

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2005, 08:34:22 AM »
First - check your school's rules and regulations to see if it's permitted. It probably is not.
Then ask yourself if it's worth it.  It probably is not worth it regardless of whether you get caught. 

Teletype

• 2 Timothy 1:7
    • View Profile
    • Visit our family website at www.firstnephi.com
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2005, 02:06:29 PM »
First - check your school's rules and regulations to see if it's permitted. It probably is not.
Then ask yourself if it's worth it.  It probably is not worth it regardless of whether you get caught. 

???

I do agree with the part about making sure you're compliant with your school's regulations.  That said, the bulk of the responses here seem to suggest that many--if not most--schools permit the recording of lectures.  At my own school, in two years of part-time study, I have only had one instance where a guest instructor requested that the recorders be shut off.  When the request was made, we immediately complied.  No big deal.

Provided of course that recording is legal, then I would say it is emphatically worth it.  For example, what I do is to jot down notes manually or through my laptop, using my tape recorder as a backup.  Then when I feel uncertain about a particular course, and especially if I am not satisfied with the notes I took, then I will go back and review the past lectures de novo, in some cases completely re-doing my notes.  That method alone has pulled me out of the fire more than once at or near exam time. 

ct_rdr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2005, 12:22:13 AM »
OK, some of you are just WAY more brilliant than I am when it comes to electronics/computer stuff. Maybe you guys can give me suggestions and help me out.

I have Onenote that I would like to try using because I like the feature that will allow me to record what is being said so that I can replay that part of the lecture if I miss something. I would also like to be able to record my lectures and burn them onto CDs so that I have something to listen to during the 40-minute commute.

I am trying to figure out if there is a voice recorder (of decent quality) that I can plug into my computer as it records (so I can be using it with Onenote), but that will also allow me to then burn the recordings onto CD. Some, I'm wanting to kill two birds with one stone where I would otherwise theoretically be recording the same lecture twice. Can anyone help with this? Maybe, all I need is a great microphone to be able to use with Onenote and then do this (I haven't gotten that far in my Onenote ventures). But, I would love to have a voice recorder that could potentially be used alone.

So, can any of you tech-Gods help?

ruskiegirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2005, 08:54:52 PM »
OK, some of you are just WAY more brilliant than I am when it comes to electronics/computer stuff. Maybe you guys can give me suggestions and help me out.

I have Onenote that I would like to try using because I like the feature that will allow me to record what is being said so that I can replay that part of the lecture if I miss something. I would also like to be able to record my lectures and burn them onto CDs so that I have something to listen to during the 40-minute commute.

I am trying to figure out if there is a voice recorder (of decent quality) that I can plug into my computer as it records (so I can be using it with Onenote), but that will also allow me to then burn the recordings onto CD. Some, I'm wanting to kill two birds with one stone where I would otherwise theoretically be recording the same lecture twice. Can anyone help with this? Maybe, all I need is a great microphone to be able to use with Onenote and then do this (I haven't gotten that far in my Onenote ventures). But, I would love to have a voice recorder that could potentially be used alone.

get an ipod.

maney

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2005, 08:56:07 PM »
I always record the class to laugh at the stupidities mumbled by the pr ofessor afterwards.

jomolungma

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2005, 11:05:03 PM »

You were on the right track.  As long as your laptop has a mic-in jack, all you need is a good mic, one designed for large lecture halls, not dictation.  There are good ones that can do both though.  When you use the OneNote record function, it saves the recording as a WMA file in the OneNote directory.  All you have to do is use Microsoft's Media Player, or another media player that recognizes WMA files, to burn them to CD.  If you use Media Player, just have it continuously monitor your OneNote directory for new files.  Then, every time you do a new recording it will automatically show up in Media Player and you can burn it. Also, if you own a digital music player other than an iPod, you can just sync your recordings with it and then listen to them with your DMP.  It'll save you on burn time and CDs and allow you to listen whenever/wherever you want.