Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: No time to for study aids  (Read 4399 times)

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
No time to for study aids
« on: August 18, 2004, 08:53:37 PM »
I'm just starting a night law school while working full time.  I commute 3-5 hours a day, so spare time is non-existent.

I've read a number of books on how to succeed in LS and about all the study aids.  But I don't think I will have time for extra books and reading.

Am I headed for disaster?
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: No time to for study aids
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 09:19:32 PM »
No, you will still do fine. I don't always get a chance to consult them. I mainly use them if I am having a hard time with something or when I start to outline. The most important thing is to do the case assignments, take good class notes and do your own outline.

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 09:34:20 PM »
No, you will still do fine. I don't always get a chance to consult them. I mainly use them if I am having a hard time with something or when I start to outline. The most important thing is to do the case assignments, take good class notes and do your own outline.

I really haven't thought much about the outline yet.  I doooon wanna.

I do have the advantage(?) that my crimes and tort class are being taught from study aids and opinions instead of casebooks.

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 09:43:58 PM »
Don't worry about doing outlines yet. I never start mine until they do a major shift in the material (that is, I do it then if I am being a good law student). Sometimes I get behind and don't do it until much later into the semester.

What kind of material do you have? You said study aids (I assume more like textbook material) and opinions? Do you mean actual cases, or just a summary of a case? Either way, it should not matter. Just follow the lead of the professor. After you get going, you will start to see what the professor is looking for.

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2004, 09:47:55 PM »
For torts we are using a hornbook as the text and reading the actual opinions from westlaw

for crimes we are using examples and explanation book for text and actual opinions

for contract, we are using a case book

then I have writing and research

I'm part time, so only four classes.

Follow the professor, follow the professor, follow the professor -- I'm drilling it into my head.  I've read this advice elsewhere, but it didnt' sink in.

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2004, 09:59:28 PM »
When you use a hornbook or the examples and explanations type books, it is more of a textbook type overview. That will probably be the most familiar to you. It is the way most of us learned in college. They will have short excerpts from the cases, so you get the benefit of having the author explain most of it for you. All you have to do in reading that material is digest the material and figure out how a new set of facts would fall into place.

With the casebooks, that is a little harder. The court applies the law to a new set of facts, but often, you are left trying to decipher exactly what they said and how their analysis will apply to other cases. This method takes a little getting used to, but you will get it.

Research and writing is a whole new breed of learning. It is much different than what any writing class in undergrad went over. It is basically a whole new style of writing.

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2004, 10:06:48 PM »
The case book is harder.  I was reading the first contracts opinion.  I couldn't find the court's decision.

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2004, 10:15:11 PM »
Which case was it?

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2004, 10:17:55 PM »
Bailey v. West
Supreme Court of R.I.
105 R.I. 61, 249 A 2d 414

Luckily I don't have contracts until Monday.

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2004, 10:43:20 PM »
I can give you a quick answer if you want