Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: JJ at NSL  (Read 49270 times)

Slyone

• Holmesboy
    • View Profile
Re: JJ at NSL
« Reply #180 on: January 11, 2005, 10:58:50 AM »
well we deserved a bit of slack time. now it's time to get back to work.
I highlight the book like I am going to brief even if I don't brief it and use a canned one (primarily for contracts and con law). I do retype the canned brief for comprehension and because Lewis would slam me.
have you been to 4lawschool.com
they have lots of briefs.
BTW, I am impressed with the relationship you have with your attorney AND your attorney. Sounds like a good one. Did he go to NSL?

No, I put much more into my conversations than any law school work.

I have come to the conclusion -- at least for the time being -- that I should write my own briefs.  If I read a canned brief, it just won't stick in my brain.  Things I read don't stay in my brain without extra effort.

If I read a case and dig through it for the info needed for a brief, it sticks to my grey matter (ewwwww.  what an image.) better.

Truth be told, I've wasted more time over the last couple weeks than I've used.  I think if I reintroduce some discipline into my routine, I'll be able to brief and understand the cases better.
If there is any principle of the Constitution that more imperatively calls for attachment than any other it is the principle of free thought, not free thought for those who agree with us but freedom for the thought that we hate.
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Slyone

• Holmesboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 11, 2005, 11:14:59 AM »
agreed!
If there is any principle of the Constitution that more imperatively calls for attachment than any other it is the principle of free thought, not free thought for those who agree with us but freedom for the thought that we hate.
Oliver Wendell Holmes

lawgroupie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 11, 2005, 02:05:12 PM »
Somehow it all seems twisted. :o

jslick

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - alpinebimmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #183 on: January 11, 2005, 06:30:05 PM »
I had my meeting with LWR prof yesterday to discuss my less than stellar performance on the last memo.  I have to give her credit.  she was consistent.  If I had followed all her rules and directions, I might have gotten a better grade.  My problem was that I disagreed with her rules and directions.  When she wanted us to form our argument a certain way, it was not a suggestion.  She gave us the best way to do it and if we departed from that it was less than good.

I've learned my lesson and I hope in the future I'll be better at spotting these situations.

When you met with the instructor, did she fully read your paper?  If so, was it or was it not your impression that she had actually read it before it was returned last week?
If you think education's expensive, try ignorance.

NervousYet?

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 11, 2005, 10:48:47 PM »
And now it has happened.  We desperately cast about for help in studying for exams.  We grab at outlines, briefs, notes and anything else from anyone who is at least a year ahead of us in school.

And then you find it.  A flaw in their materials and the thought hits you.  Why are their materials any better than mine?  Did they get it right?  Did they get good grades?  Why am I trusting virtual strangers with my legal future?

DTA! While I will accept anything anyone a year ahead of me might offer, I will not rely upon it 100%. To do so would be, "negligent" in my opinion.

NervousYet?

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 11, 2005, 10:52:16 PM »
Don't trust anybody!

NervousYet?

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 11, 2005, 10:57:46 PM »
Guess you'll have to take my word on it. It was something that the wrestler Stone Cold Steve Austin use to say. Somehow, "DTA" seems appropiate in the sense of letting someone else's work dictate how you would do on an exam. It is just not a risk I am willing to take.

Slyone

• Holmesboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 12, 2005, 11:21:30 AM »
Well, let's hope the working conditions for lawyers are a bit cooler, but I've heard it is HOT in HELL!  ;) :D ;) :D ;) :D
So, are you saying you descend from Yankee stock?
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Slyone

• Holmesboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 12, 2005, 11:33:09 AM »
Well, I guess you can stay.....
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Slyone

• Holmesboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 12, 2005, 11:57:31 AM »
Well, we like them Yankee librals down he uh! Somebody got to educate us. ;)
Oliver Wendell Holmes