Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: JJ at NSL  (Read 49176 times)

ptlaw

• AOL Instant Messenger - KB4GYC
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: JJ at NSL
« Reply #130 on: December 05, 2004, 05:05:36 PM »
Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it.

While it bothers you that Fort Negley is being preserved (Jack Kershaw agrees with you), I realize that health care and historic preservation projects are two separate issues.

Having just recovered from a serious illness that required my utilizing the health care system a great deal, I am also concerned that certain segments of our society are consistently denied adequate health care coverage.  Were it not for the health coverage offered through my employer, I more than likely would not have received treatment in time to save my life.

I am a supporter (with money, not just my mouth) of the Tennessee Justice Center and hold Gordon Bonnyman in high esteem.  However, health care costs have to be brought under control.  Health care in Tennessee is not a case of the "tail wagging the dog", its the "hairs of the tail wagging the dog". 

PTLaw

The Tennessean has a nice article about people trying to preserve a fort built in 1862 and isn't wonderful to save the past. At the same time, we're looking at adding taxes and dropping 430,000 people from public health insurance.

Sorry, but I care a lot more about health care for the needy than saving a pile of rocks.

Yes, I understand that the money to save the fort isn't government money, but it still bothers me that people are going without healthcare while there seems to be money floating around for saving an old fort.
NSL is cool!

Maybe the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about.

lawgroupie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 06, 2004, 07:20:59 PM »
I think Gordon Bonnyman is a hero.

bhvexille

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: December 07, 2004, 03:36:27 PM »
What kinds of tactics did the attorneys for the husband use?

In that situation, I guess it came down to selling ice to eskimos.

IHEARTLS

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: December 08, 2004, 01:52:04 AM »
To be any more bored with my job, I would have to be dead or at least comatose.

Tomorrow I'm taking the day off to attend a bar association CLE seminar on the new Tennessee child support guidelines.  It's free for student members of TBA and I see a chance to meet and greet the gods (lawyers).  It might be a waste of a day off, but these days work seems less relevant everyday.

My team lead brought up a problem the users were having with a new release.  I gave her my opinion of the situation.  She said we had to research it first.  We 'researched' it for about 20 minutes and then she gave me her opinion.  She basically repeated what I told her in first place. 

When I compare work to the law, it seems down right sureal. 

The hardest part of law school is going to work every day.  :D

I can't even count the number of times that happened to me at my old job!  My team leader was dumb as hell and only got the position b/c someone had left and she was like 45 and had been there for 3 years.  I was brand new, 22 and fresh out of college so I guess they thought I c/n do it.  I came up w/new ideas, she stole them.  It got to the point where I stopped giving a damn b/c I knew is was going to law school.  Anyway, this chick was dumb and insecure.  She could never make a decision w/o going to the head boss.  One day I needed her to sign off on something quick and I just blurted out, "Can't you make a decision on your own for once?  I've got a dealer on the phone, I need to know NOW!"  You would have thought the world stopped but her dumb ass gave me an answer and you know what she did 20-30mins later?  She came up to me and said, "I checked w/[head boss] and she said that that was in fact ok."  Damn she was dumb.

Dicta

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life Is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 08, 2004, 06:11:29 PM »
Yeah, I think the custodial parent is going to get gypped....
Is that the way you perceive it? What are the changes supposed to do.....
Until you go too far, you will never know how far you can go.
TS Eliot (poorly paraphrased by myself)

Dicta

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life Is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 08, 2004, 09:17:52 PM »
I read the new guidelines and was thinking....YIKES I should have gotten divorced before now!  ;)
But then again, I'm currently unemployed. Better get divorced before I'm a hotshot lawyer!
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!  :o

Yeah, I think the custodial parent is going to get gypped....
Is that the way you perceive it? What are the changes supposed to do.....

It takes in to account the custodial parent's income, so I suppose you could look at it that way.  One of the lawyers said that this change was pushed through by non-custodial parents who felt they were being cheated.

The counter-argument is that this will be perceived as fairer and will result in greater compliance.

I got a nice 'book' with the new guidelines and associated materials.  Met some lawyers.  Got a free box lunch.  All in all it was a good use of my day. 

Dicta

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life Is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 08, 2004, 09:28:07 PM »
I don't think economic constraints are going to affect the divorce rate at all.
I mean, people may stay married because they can't afford to get divorced, but is that good for society?

Dicta

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life Is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 08, 2004, 10:47:20 PM »
Because this is America?
As crappy as it is, I think it works eventually, most of the time....

Dicta

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life Is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 09, 2004, 11:49:30 PM »
I live in a pretty mixed racial area. Anyone who wants to and has the money can buy a home anywhere they want to. Anyone who wants to can attend my church....
Things are better now, but I agree, there is a looong way to go.

Because this is America?
As crappy as it is, I think it works eventually, most of the time....

Look at the practical results.  There are more segregated schools than ever.  Hell, in the south the churches are mostly segregated.

Neighborhoods are still largely segregated.

The 60s gave us the formality of integration, but the reality is still a long way off.

Dicta

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life Is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 10, 2004, 06:54:30 PM »
looks like my reputation is coming up?
Con Law is pretty murky isn't it.
I am in awe of Judge Smith. Wonder what percent of attorneys make it to SCOTUS oral arguments?

Warrantless arrests and searches.  I was relieved when prof (criminal appeals judge) said that the law is confused, because I was plenty confused.