Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: JJ at NSL  (Read 48494 times)

Boxergirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • gpa 3.45/lsat 156
    • View Profile
Re: JJ at NSL
« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2004, 04:23:33 PM »
O' Captain My Captain: Did you really go to high school in Nashville?  Which one? 

Boxergirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • gpa 3.45/lsat 156
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2004, 04:39:42 PM »
Sorry JJ,...but my question was directed to
CAPTAIN COOLEY...based on a statement earlier in this thread.

you are not my captain.

you are my homey.

Jeffin05NSL

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: November 20, 2004, 10:22:34 AM »
Hope you're feeling better today JJ. Drugs do wonders. Good that you have a break this week.

Dicta

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life Is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 29, 2004, 12:04:42 AM »
For the first time in a gazillion years our Christmas tree was not up on Thanksgiving Day.  The sacrifices we make for the law.   ;)
Yep, this will be the year when Santa was exhausted and broke....wonder what that will look like 2 days after the torts midterm?
Santa will probably also go on a 3 day drunk and sober up in time to cram for contracts.
Obviously NSL profs don't like kids, or Christmas. Doggone it, that's anti-American.
 :-*
Until you go too far, you will never know how far you can go.
TS Eliot (poorly paraphrased by myself)

Dicta

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life Is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 29, 2004, 12:11:27 AM »

Pile 30 years of that up and it's quite a pile.  Now I just have to face that I don't have the time, the stamina or whatever else I need to be the star.  I have what it takes to get through school and learn the law.  Get over it, Jeff.  You are not the fair haired boy anymore.  White haired middle-aged nuts-to-go-back-to-school dude, not the fair haired boy.

I was the fair haired boy.  You shoulda seen me.  I was so d**mned cute. end quote

I'm reading 1L, Scott Turow's musings on his first year at Harvard (1977). A great read when you just can't study anymore. Amazing how similar his experiences have been to mine. Not much changes from year to year or school to school. The mental crap is the same!

Not everyone can be the fair-haired boy. I feel courageous going back at the ripe old age of 38.
Accepting one's limitations is a part of life, no matter how old you are. And definitely a requirement of a 1L.
It's a rite of passage!

Dicta

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life Is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 29, 2004, 12:40:34 PM »
Massive amounts of caffeine in the form of triple espresso drinks seem to get me hummin' on class nights. Of course, I'm up until 2 am. But I get some of my best work done then!

edythec

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 29, 2004, 06:32:55 PM »
Having "caught up" on your postings, I find myself reminescing.  (By the way, I can't spell)  I would like to tell you that it gets easier, but I will not lie to you.  THe work load continues.  But I think that it gets better because you learn many of the things you are learning.  Congratulate yourself.  It took two small and one major panic attack in the spring, before I realized that I could not keep up with the pace I was setting for myself.  Perhaps you have realized that already.  To paraphraze the Marines  - Be the best you, you can be.  That does not mean what you remember you were 20 years ago.  Our memories tend to have us remember that we were even better than we were.  You will learn to not sweat the class you didn't read for.  You'll do your best to catch up.  Law school changes you.  About two weeks ago, I found myself being extremely grateful for anonomous grading.  I actually told my professor to please get the discussion back on topic.  I was told afterward by several students that I had more "balls" than they did!  Never would I have done such a thing when I was a young undergraduate.  The second year is not as exciting as the first.  But it has it's moments.  Right now we are drafting leases.  I and two parners, posing as the attorneys for the landlord have drafted a lease for a commercial building.  Tomorrow night we will present it to the "attorneys" for the tenant.  They will review and the following week we will be in hot negotiations.  So keep up the work, someday we will all be attorneys and say, "Remember when?"
"Ever notice that 'What the hell' is always the right decision?" - Marilyn Monroe

edythec

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 30, 2004, 02:07:36 PM »
hey no fair!  Your mid-terms are in different weeks!  Mine are back to back Dec 21 and 22.  Then one the first day back in Jan.
"Ever notice that 'What the hell' is always the right decision?" - Marilyn Monroe

Dicta

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life Is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 01, 2004, 10:39:37 AM »
ok, what have you been up to?  8)

Dicta

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life Is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 01, 2004, 05:24:58 PM »
I think you are on to something with this "just in time" learning theory.
Why know something before you actually need it?
And I've reconsidered, if I'm in Hell I think I'm going to want absinthe or at least gin and tonic!