Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: JJ at NSL  (Read 47299 times)

Coregram

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: JJ at NSL
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2004, 12:03:45 PM »
I find myself in the same boat at times too, less than 2 weeks into school, though my time constraints aren't quite what yours are.  I've decided I will do what I need to learn the law and how to apply it, even if the approach isn't all I'd like it to be.

I wouldn't bother going back and doing written briefs on cases you have already covered in class.  I would (though maybe I shouldn't) assume your class notes on the days the cases were covered have the important aspects of what the professor wanted you to take out of the cases.  Or just go back and do a quick read through again of them and book brief them to get down what you need to have in your outline.  Remember, the brief is only a tool for you to use to learn aspects of the law and how it is applied or how it evolved.  What's imporant is what you learn and take from the cases and get into the outline you study from, not having a stack of neatly typed briefs.

Are you using any outside supplements?  Commercial Outlines?  Example and Explanations?  These are good sources as well for info for your outline.  I review them before reading the cases, it makes it much easier to see where the law is in the case.

Can you volunteer to do case briefs in your classes?  Or is it all cold calling by the prof?  If you can volunteer, do so when you are prepared and you will be less likely to be called on when the prep isn't all you'ld like it to be.  And try book briefing a few cases that aren't too long or where the case is laid out in an easy to follow manner.

Keep at it.  You have a three day weekend to catch up!

BennyQ

« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2004, 01:11:36 AM »
Is law school always like this?

Nope...just wait until about 2-3 weeks before exams.  That is when you realize how little you know, and feel stressed like crazy.  However...finishing 1st year exams has to be one of the best feelings I have ever had.

BennyQ

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2004, 01:20:52 AM »
Here is my best advice if you are falling behind: do not try to catch up.  Okay, I know that sounds bad and you will have to catch up eventually, but the best thing you can do is prepare the material you are going to cover in your upcoming class FIRST.  Law is hard to learn on your own.  If you have not read the material for the class, you will get little out of attending.  I truly believe this approach helps you get more out of class, and helps to alleviate the stress of being behind.  

William Rehnquist

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2004, 08:13:02 PM »
Hang in there, JJ!

PSBU

BennyQ

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2004, 03:27:22 AM »
Congrats to you and your daughter!

planejane

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2004, 03:10:17 PM »
Congrats.  The baby is beautiful!!!

Bigwilliestyle

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2004, 01:29:14 PM »
Just know that you are not alone. Full time job, heavy commute time and all the other stuff that comes with family and home. Hang in there. 8)

jeff

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2004, 02:54:44 PM »
JJ,

I'm going to miss crimes and torts tonight.  I can't afford to but my daughter (5) is diabetic and she's ill.  I've managed to get the crimes notes (from the instructor's secretary tomorrow).  However, torts has been difficult for me and I really need to find out what happens tonight. 

Can you email me (nortney_38555@yahoo.com) and let me know what went on?

I'd really appreciate it.  After my presentation last week I really worry about this class and HATE not being able to go tonight.

Thanks,
Kim Reed

duma

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2004, 01:54:59 PM »
This thread must be your personal journal... eh?

Anyway, allow me to butt in for a few seconds.... too much work! I have too much work to do for class, and around the house...grrr....

We bought a new car so that I wouldn't have to deal with any issues with my wife's old one. Murphy's law kicks in, and I get a flat tire on my car. Than, today, I had to fix our front door in what must be the freakest bit of water damage I have seen.... all this has put me behind in what tends to be a tight schedule as is...

Ok... I feel better... time to try and get caught up.

duma

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2004, 08:49:18 AM »
no. We haev the scoratic method going on in our Basic Laws. However, it does seem to be a bit of a light weight compared to say Torts.