Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: JJ at NSL  (Read 47258 times)

Chuck Milam

• View Profile
Re: JJ at NSL
« Reply #170 on: January 06, 2005, 09:07:29 AM »
As a relative newcomer to the south, the holy crusade of some Christian factions against alcohol completely baffles me.  In Wisconsin, where I'm from, you can't even have a church picnic without a beer tent.  In Hopkinsville, KY, where I currently reside, the locals are happliy boycotting and protesting every new alcohol-selling retaurant and business right out of town.  So, the businesses move down the road to the more business-friendly Clarksville, TN.  Later, the Hopkinsville residents wring their hands wondering why they can't attract and keep businesses.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  (Who said it?)

Apparently, God really loves the German/Polish immigrants of Wisconsin.   ;D  They're a much happier bunch than I've seen here.

Dicta

• Sr. Citizen
  • Life Is Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 06, 2005, 11:47:19 PM »
Guess it would be Mrs. Dubya. Anyone can see she calls the shots! ;)
Until you go too far, you will never know how far you can go.
TS Eliot (poorly paraphrased by myself)

jslick

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - alpinebimmer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #172 on: January 07, 2005, 02:14:25 PM »
I say we need to order some "I Survived LWR" T-shirts.

I say... go back to sleep. ???
If you think education's expensive, try ignorance.

Slyone

• Holmesboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 07, 2005, 05:16:36 PM »
Wow. you are fab grandparents. I spend most of my time in a state of sleep deprivation.
It's a joke when they tell you they "start sleeping through the night" around whatever arbitrary time they say.
They start sleeping though the day when they are in college!  :D

Why would you assume I'm awake?  I'm not really.  Our infant granddaugher spent the night.  She's been sick and she has kept her parents up for several nights.  They finally gave up and took up my wife on her offer to take the baby overnight so they could sleep.  So we didn't sleep. 

It was the first time she'd spent the night away from mommy in her life.
If there is any principle of the Constitution that more imperatively calls for attachment than any other it is the principle of free thought, not free thought for those who agree with us but freedom for the thought that we hate.
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Slyone

• Holmesboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 07, 2005, 05:24:03 PM »
That's interesting. We got farmed out to my father's parents every Saturday night for an overnight so that my parents could crank up the quadraphonic stereo and have disco parties. Seriously, my father had a leisure suit!
Anyway, they have been pretty uninvolved grandparents until I started school. Now they have really stepped up.
No overnights however and no opportunities for my husband and I to get away alone. We have spent 6 days without them in 6 years. 3 of those were in New Orleans where our second was conceived====guess it's probably good we don't get too much alone time.
They are very good girls and I love them too much, but you really have to be husband and wife first to be good parents. Sometimes it is just impossible with work, school and life's demands.
Ahhhh waxing philosophical. JJ, you have gotten to me.    ;)

We had very little help when we were raising ours.  We wanted better for our kids, so......

Wow. you are fab grandparents. I spend most of my time in a state of sleep deprivation.
It's a joke when they tell you they "start sleeping through the night" around whatever arbitrary time they say.
They start sleeping though the day when they are in college!  :D

Why would you assume I'm awake?  I'm not really.  Our infant granddaugher spent the night.  She's been sick and she has kept her parents up for several nights.  They finally gave up and took up my wife on her offer to take the baby overnight so they could sleep.  So we didn't sleep. 

It was the first time she'd spent the night away from mommy in her life.
If there is any principle of the Constitution that more imperatively calls for attachment than any other it is the principle of free thought, not free thought for those who agree with us but freedom for the thought that we hate.
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Slyone

• Holmesboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 07, 2005, 08:31:41 PM »
took a look at that one and just couldn't start. I was glad when we finished the death penalty cases in crimes. ugh. it's sick.
Oliver Wendell Holmes

Slyone

• Holmesboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 09, 2005, 11:25:48 PM »
agree 100%. I am treated as a villain by my children if I take an hour to brief one contracts case!
aren't you glad it is the exception rather than reality!

Emergency mode.  The weekend is almost over and I've done the smallest fraction of my work.  Never mind trying to memorize tort elements.  We had the grandkids (three: 8, 6 and four months).  Now I remember why I let my kids grow up.  I never got any sleep.  It was my son's second anniversary so my wife volunteered to watch the kids so son and his wife can go to Nashville to celebrate.  I hope they had a good time.  I did, but I just misplaced about 8 hours sleep in two nights. 

And if your spouse tells you that s/he will watch the grandkids so you can study, don't believe it.  Oh, they mean it when they say it, but the grandkids didn't sign on to that contract.  In fact, they think it's a tort if their grandparent studies instead of playing with them.

I've decide that the next time I go to law school, it will be when all the children have graduated from college.  All of them, including the grandchildren.
Oliver Wendell Holmes

edythec

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 10, 2005, 01:04:56 PM »
Perhaps you should compare some of your briefs to the canned briefs.  Maybe you are over analyzing in your own briefs and making more work for yourself.
"Ever notice that 'What the hell' is always the right decision?" - Marilyn Monroe

SLJ0720

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 10, 2005, 06:12:42 PM »
As far as canned briefs, I find it relieving to just have them available in case I need them in a time crunch situation.  It's better to use those than to not brief at all I think.  I bought the High Court Case Summaries for Contracts and Torts.  Last semester when I was trying to save time so I could outline I would read the case in the casebook, marking it up as I would if I were going to do the brief myself, then read the canned brief.  I then retyped the canned brief and added in anything else I thought was important that was left out of the canned brief. Since the Torts cases in the casebook weren't very long I mainly bought the High Court Case Summary to help me add all the cases to my outline.  Each brief contains a short fact statement and rule statement, which I could quickly put in my outline. 

Slyone

• Holmesboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 11, 2005, 10:44:33 AM »
good advice, kind of a compromise.
And JJ, if our conversations are anything like your briefs, they are over-analyzed!  ;D

As far as canned briefs, I find it relieving to just have them available in case I need them in a time crunch situation.  It's better to use those than to not brief at all I think.  I bought the High Court Case Summaries for Contracts and Torts.  Last semester when I was trying to save time so I could outline I would read the case in the casebook, marking it up as I would if I were going to do the brief myself, then read the canned brief.  I then retyped the canned brief and added in anything else I thought was important that was left out of the canned brief. Since the Torts cases in the casebook weren't very long I mainly bought the High Court Case Summary to help me add all the cases to my outline.  Each brief contains a short fact statement and rule statement, which I could quickly put in my outline. 
Oliver Wendell Holmes