Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: JJ at NSL  (Read 47870 times)

dsong02

• Sr. Citizen
  • small. yellow. different.
    • View Profile
Re: First day of class
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2004, 01:05:30 PM »
awesome...im glad youre enjoying law school.  make some friends though...
'why does it hurt so much when i poke it?'

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2004, 07:55:23 PM »
I'm so glad that everything worked out for you! You are going to love it!

lawgirl

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2004, 04:37:56 PM »
I would make the casebook version the focus of your brief. You can use the full case to fill in the gaps and give you more background, but if they assigned it out of the casebook, just focus on that.

planejane

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2004, 10:17:15 PM »
Jeffjoe,

Thanks for the day by day playbook of your first few days of lawschool.  I have finals this week (remember I am still finishing my bachelor's degree) and needless to say, I had to take today off from work to finish a ton of work.  I have pulled an all nighter for this past entire weekend and tonight will be my first night of sleep in a few days.  I have one more case to do and I am done for a week or so.  Fall semester is coming up for me.  It will be a painful one.  Even though your law school is not ABA approved and the one I am thinking of going to is not ABA approved, these law schools still demand alot from its students.  The law students down here in Montgomery tell me all the time how little sleep they get in the first year.  They tell me how demanding it is and it is alot of work.  I am assured it is well worth it in the end.  Keep plugging away and best of luck.  I know what I have to look forward to next year.

Thanks!

Terry

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2004, 08:34:11 PM »
Jeffjoe,

Thank you for the updates on your first few classes in Law School.  I am a non-traditional student (Wife, 5 children and pushing 32 ) and still have at least two years of undergrad before I will be able to start applying for law school. 

I have found your post to be motivational and informative.  As a nashvillian I was drawn to your post by the reference to the Nashville School of Law which will most likely be the school I end up attending. Our area offers NSL or Vandy and I doubt that Vandy would be a realistic option for someone like myself.

Has anyone mentioned TN job opportunities to you since you have began school?  I am worried that I will have spent 7-8 years in school to become a lawyer (my only education prior to deciding to persue a career in Law consisted of ITT Technical Institute and none of my credits transfered to a regionally accredited school..) only to find out that I have to continue working in the I/T field in order to make a living.  From what I have read in your posts it seems that NSL will really prepare you for the real world. Thank you and congratulations on achieving your goal of attending law school!.

Terry

Coregram

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2004, 12:13:34 AM »
I just started at Mass School of Law; non-traditional as well.  It's isn't ABA accredited either, but we still use case books, Socratic discussion, etc.  No teaching to the bar exam here.

Once you pass the bar in MA (or TN I imagine), many states will let you sit for their bar.  Sometimes you have to wait 3-5 years, or 10 for FL, but others (i.e all the states next to MA) let you sit as soon as you pass in MA.  So you are not limited only to TN.

And you can practice in Fed. Court anywhere once licensed in your state.

buddha

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Impossible to Tell
    • Email
Re: JJ at NSL
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2004, 07:53:26 PM »
Maybe I should drop two classes.

That's a big decision jj, remember they say the first few weeks are the worst.  They say if you can get through that the workload is more bearable.
Hens love roosters, geese love ganders
Everyone else loves Ned Flanders!

planejane

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2004, 11:32:33 PM »
I know it is easy for me to say this, but don't drop your classes.  From what I have been told by other 1L's (part-timers) is that the first year is to "weed" through the classes.  It is to see who can do it and who can do it under pressure.  I think it may have been through this board someone calling 1L mental bootcamp.  If it is, and it definitely sounds like it, you just have to do the work.  Hang in there and remember there are classmates in your school and throughout the country going through the same thing.  Next year, I want your advice on how to get through 1L.  Deal?

Now go kick some butt!!!!    ;)

planejane

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2004, 02:10:42 PM »
You are crazy!!!    ;D

Coregram

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2004, 03:34:25 PM »
Cool.  Better be very prepared on that one, as I bet he will be!!