Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BC Gym options  (Read 11132 times)

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: BC Gym options
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2004, 10:29:04 PM »
and speaking of "useful" information:

if anyone is having trouble sending email from their apartment, i might know why (especially if you are using RCN for your ISP). you might have some problems since both RCN and BC evidently block port 25 emailing and becuase RCN evidently blocks outgoing email to bc's mail server.

grrr... nothing is ever easy...

moxygal

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2004, 11:23:30 AM »
eee- yeah i definitely am going to do the ballys thing too. but it is hard to get to without a car? or is it somewhere near a t stop?

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2004, 11:57:31 AM »
no, not a T stop...  its definitely on a bus line, though i couldnt tell you which one unless i know where you think youll be coming from. would it be the washington street stop on the B line?

check out www.mbta.com if you want to try to map it out.

the only gyms that i know of that are right on a T stop are Golds (which is right by the Kenmore Sq. stop -- next to Fenway) and Boston Athletic Club (which is just a few stops past the Washington St. stop). The most convenient one would be the Boston Athletic Club. its also the most expensive, though (like $70+ per month). it is quite nice inside and definitely has the best equipment of any club in the area (including ballys). I havent been to this Golds gym, but my gut feeling (having been to MANY Golds gyms) is that there is tons of equipment, all high quality, but not the newest, most advanced stuff. im guessing that membership is probably around $55 a month. the biggest downside to Golds is that there are a TON of stops between your apartment and Kenmore square. Its probably like a 25 minute T ride from your place to Kenmore square, and then a 5 minute walk to the gym.

your other option would be to wait till school starts and then check with me... if your study/working out schedule works with mine ur always welcome to grab a ride (especially since you live so close to me).

and of course, there is always the BC gym. if you are into weights, you are going to be VERY disappointed as there is almost no selection. if you are into cardio you might be ok as long as you dont work out at the peak times (im guessing 11-1 and 5-7 will be hard to get a machine).

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2004, 12:18:31 PM »
ok... if you are going to do ballys and want to take the bus, here is how you would do it:

1) Take the T (B-line) from BC to the Chestnut Hill Ave stop (like a 3 minute train ride)
2) Take the #86 bus from the Chestnut Hill Ave stop to the intersection of Market Street and N. Beacon Street. (probably a 10 minute ride, depending on traffic and stops it might be 15)
3) The gym is a 30 second walk from there

fyi, this is the exact same route that id take if i were driving (the T follows the same road that I take) so its not like youd be going some round-about way to get to the gym.

but again, ur always welcome to grab a ride.

moxygal

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2004, 12:49:27 PM »
thanks eee for looking that info up and for the ride offer! im sure ill be tempted to take you up on that!
:-)
yeah i definitely want to try and avoid using the bc gym, i had enough of over crowded, too small gyms during undergrad. i actually prefer running outside but i feel a bit too nervous doing that in a city and with the winter, running is pretty much a no go anyways.

i think my apartment is right near the warren street stop on the B line, which is two away from washington. you said that's where you're off of right?

i'll prob just wait and try to figure a gym out once i get settled. grrr i hate moving! but the boston athletic club location sounds good. it's more expensive though right? i don't need a fancy-schmancy club, i don't even use weights.

haha with us both being in section 2 and if we coordinated gym schedules- you'd probably get sick of seeing me so much :P

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2004, 01:02:41 PM »
yeah, boston athletic club is pretty expensive. if all you are into is the aerobics stuff then bally's is probably the best since it has just a huge ammount of stuff (more than ive ever seen at any gym in the area).

and dont give up on running outside just yet... even if you dont like running in the city (which is a TON of fun, btw), there are a huge number of trails right near us: a bunch of parks and some paths that go all along the charles river. also, you will see quite a few runners near BC since it is on the route of the boston marathon and the killer hill is right next to the law school (its called "heartbreak hill"). especially in the spring, all the people who are training for the marathon will do their sunday runs from the BC church, down the hill to Newton center (or longer), and then turn around and run up the hill.

moxygal

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2004, 02:07:44 PM »
good to hear about the parks and trails. im excited for that, esp in the fall before the snow starts. i guess i just have a little bit of nerves about running around in a city, being a girl and all, esp if i was to work out early in the am or later in day, in the evenings. but its good to know i'll have some options! ;D