Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BC Gym options  (Read 11256 times)

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
BC Gym options
« on: August 17, 2004, 05:47:37 PM »
for those who care, just wanted to let you know that bally's is pretty cheap right now (even cheaper than the BC gym, i tihnk). i put $50 down (which includes the 1st month's payment) and my monthy payment will be like $26.

the gym is in brighton (like 10 minutes from BC), right next to the New Balance outlet. For those into weights, the gym is good, not great, but infinitely better than BC. for those into cardio, its a paradise.

if anyone thinks that they are going to sign up, let me know so you can put me down as a reference :)

michelle

Re: BC Gym options
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 06:26:43 PM »
I am also planning on joining bally's... i have not looked into it myself yet, but from what I hear, if you sign a 2 year committment, then it is comparable in price to BC's gym, and a whole lot nicer... plus, my apartment is like 5 min drive away.... how long did you sign up for? or are you paying month by month?

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 07:33:20 PM »
hmmm... we must be neighbors then seeing as im 5 min away as well :) where are you in relation to brighton center? im like a 20 second drive up chestnut hill ave (going towards comm ave). im right next to the sutherland T stop on comm ave (on the B line).

i signed up for 3 years but here's the deal: you can always transfer your membership to another ballys w/o paying a fee. and if you move somewhere where there isn't a ballys within 25 miles, then they will let you cancel your memberhsip without any problem. so, since my parents live way up in maine, if i want to cancel ill just have one of my credit card bills sent there. then all i have to do is show ballys the address on the bill and they will let me out of my membership. of course, all this is even assuming that i want to cancel before the 3 years is up.

glad to hear that someone else is joining bally's, btw!

michelle

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 09:04:47 PM »
That's a pretty good deal that you can transfer your membership... and I'm from NY, and there are plenty of Bally's there, so signing up for three years is no big deal.... esp since i'm planning on being in brighton for 3 years.  I actually don't really know where I am in relation to everything. (I like a min away from where washington st and comm ave intersect).  I haven't moved up yet, but I have been picking the brain of one of my roommates-to-be and she told me that ballys is 5 mins away... So i guess we'll be gym buddies:)... and your in section 2 as well, right?

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 09:33:19 PM »
yeah... section 2 till someone kicks me out :)

dft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 09:52:26 PM »
what's the cost of living over there near BC (specifically the cost of apartments)?  i was thinking about law school in boston, but now i am reconsidering for several reasons.  i decided i would rather live outside of the city than right in it, so now i am more interested in BC than BU.

michelle

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004, 10:01:49 PM »
I'll looking at $650 in rent per month for a decent sized apartment in brighton.  I have a friend who is going to BU and is paying the same.

jakia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2004, 10:12:47 PM »
eee,

Keep bringing that useful information and we'll let you stay in section 2.  Look forward to putting you down as a reference.

J

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2004, 10:18:48 PM »
its somewhat of a renters' market right now. though, it is the boston area, so its never going to be cheap... just less expensive. and of course, as the economy gets better (IF it gets better) rents are going to start creeping up again. i'm paying $610 for a big place right near brighton center and comm ave. i know of people paying just around $500 and living within walking distance of BC.

it also depends if you are going to have a car or not. if you are looking at BU and want to be close to the school, parking could be an issue and might end up costing you an extra $100 unless you are lucky enough to find an apt that comes with a parking spot. brookline is VERY hard to find a place with a parking spot. brighton is easier and allston even easier.

bottom line: i wouldnt let the cost of housing weigh too heavily into your decision. BU is a little more expensive since it is closer to the center of boston (assuming that you want to live very close to the school), but it is factored into their cost of attendance (the amount of money you are able to take out loans for). so in the end, maybe you pay an extra grand or two for BU vs BC. assuming you are taking out loans for 150k like most people, its a small fraction of your total cost.

however, housing aside, BC is infinitely better than BU. not that im biased or anything :)

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2004, 10:23:54 PM »
eee,

Keep bringing that useful information and we'll let you stay in section 2.  Look forward to putting you down as a reference.

J

just trying to help those non-bostonians out! (also, im VERY bored)

and thanks for putting me down as a reference... just dont tell them that my name is "eee" they might get a little confused (not hard to do). for my full name, just look up the class roster and look for the only "Ian" in section 2. and feel free to email before classes start :)