Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why are people so concerned about what they wear?  (Read 1441 times)

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
Why are people so concerned about what they wear?
« on: August 13, 2004, 11:11:51 AM »
I don't understand why people are so concerned about what they wear to law school.  Isn't the main focus supposed to be learning the law?  So learn the law in whatever makes you comfortable.  Are there law schools out there with mandatory dress codes that I don't know about?  Can someone, please enlighten me?
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!

Coregram

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Why are people so concerned about what they wear?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2004, 11:42:15 AM »
I doubt any have formal dress codes and the most important thing at school is to learn. 

But like it or not, people form an impression based on how you present yourself and, once formed, they can be tough to change.  And law school is a professional school.  The professors who see you now might be the ones you need to recommend you for an internship, clerking position, or job with a firm later.  The students you are in class with now could be your source of referrals, contacts, job opportunities, or opponents in court 10 years from now.  You might want to keep that in mind as well.

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2004, 12:15:38 PM »
yeah... always important to make a good impression.

ill be wearing leather chaps and a thong my first day. i just want to make sure that things get started out on the right foot.

jakia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2004, 12:27:10 PM »

ill be wearing leather chaps and a thong my first day. i just want to make sure that things get started out on the right foot.

If we could get our entire section outfitted this way, I'd think that would be a subtle signal to our professors that we were there to "learn the law".

Coregram

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2004, 01:24:22 PM »
But do you think your professors would be able to "teach the law" as they face the class? 

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2004, 01:55:56 PM »
But do you think your professors would be able to "teach the law" as they face the class? 

well, that outfit isnt such a problem when you are facing the person... its when you turn around that the problems start :)

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2004, 02:02:22 PM »

If we could get our entire section outfitted this way, I'd think that would be a subtle signal to our professors that we were there to "learn the law".

sounds like a plan... im gonna go ahead and call the dean now to discuss our plan. if i dont show up for orientation youll know that the discussion... ummm... didnt go so well.

jakia

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2004, 02:29:27 PM »

well, that outfit isnt such a problem when you are facing the person... its when you turn around that the problems start :)

Problems?  Perhaps you mean FUN!

eee

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2004, 05:53:35 PM »

Problems?  Perhaps you mean FUN!

eh... you say potayto, i say potahto, either way its a lot of naked asses in one place :)

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2004, 08:30:52 PM »
I doubt any have formal dress codes and the most important thing at school is to learn.

But like it or not, people form an impression based on how you present yourself and, once formed, they can be tough to change. And law school is a professional school. The professors who see you now might be the ones you need to recommend you for an internship, clerking position, or job with a firm later. The students you are in class with now could be your source of referrals, contacts, job opportunities, or opponents in court 10 years from now. You might want to keep that in mind as well.

Sure law school is professional school. So are you saying that no one cared what they looked like in undergrad? Clean and neat should be the code because we are in school to learn. Maybe I've just always been more serious about school than some . . . when I asked professors for letters of recommendation, I dressed up a bit.  A lot of this is instinct - there are no real rules.
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!