Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Orientation  (Read 1300 times)

another1L

• View Profile
Orientation
« on: August 10, 2004, 10:45:18 AM »
Those of you who have already attended your orientations, what all did you do?   Is it necessary to bring anything to orientation? What does everyone wear?   

Just some rambling questions from another nervous 1L! :)

Thanks for your help in advance.

jeffjoe

• Sr. Citizen
  • ABA? We don't need no stinking ABA.
    • View Profile
Re: Orientation
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 11:24:10 AM »
I went last night, but I'm not sure my experience is representative since I'm going to a non-ABA night school.

It only lasted an hour or so.  People dressed every which way and we only needed something to write with.
Praying for peace in Iraq  +
Praying for the tsunami victims   +

CJLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 01:15:50 PM »
Those of you who have already attended your orientations, what all did you do?   Is it necessary to bring anything to orientation? What does everyone wear?   

Just some rambling questions from another nervous 1L! :)

Thanks for your help in advance.

My orientation starts on Monday and lasts for the entire week. I have five or six seminars to attend and one class (intro to law), which I must pass in order to participate in my fall schedule. I actually had to take the entire week off from work (I'm part-time) in order to attend all the mandatory events.

I'm nervous as well, especially since I have yet to buy a laptop or this semester's books (my FA is still pending) :-[.

Good luck!

another1L

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 05:57:53 PM »
Glad to hear I'm not alone CJ!  Best of luck to you!

duma

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2004, 12:07:18 AM »
I am at the end of my first week of "intro to law." The orientation part lasted about an hour, and than we got right into the socratic method. It isn't so bad, as long as you have prepared.

As to what I had to bring, it was a class in the full sense of the word. I brought my laptop, paper, and my case briefs (they sent us a packet that had our first assignment).

Clothing was everything from shorts and an old t-shirt, to a tie and dress pants for women. I just put on a good pair of jeans and a polo. The next few classes I just went with a good t-shirt, but still others kept the same attire.

Oh... one thing.. don't wear a hat. A guy was asked to remove his hat, and he also got to be the first person to face the socratic method.

GL!

btw... I this was my first post... HI!

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2004, 11:09:59 AM »
I, like CJ Law have pending financial aid.

As far as orientation, like other things in life, show up and be yourself. Grab a pen and a notebook and just go for it.  Wear what you want to wear.  Not to be mean, but I don't understand why people are so obsessed about what to wear in LS.  It is still school.  What counts is learning the law . . . at least until on campus interviews start. 

smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!

novice

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2004, 11:15:40 PM »
My orientation begins tomorrow night and is scheduled for Monday-Thursday.  I will be in the part-time evening program.  I checked with my advisor and was told that I needed to dress comfortably, yet neatly, and to bring a pen and something to write on.

I also have pending FA.  Fortunately, I was able to work my finances so that I could buy some books with my last paycheck and the rest with my next paycheck, which will arrive the second day of classes.  I have the syllabus for one of my classes.  I am hoping that the syllabi for the other two will either be distributed at orientation or posted to the school's website before the end of the week.

JD_MSA

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2004, 12:53:45 PM »
Quote from: CJLaw

I'm nervous as well, especially since I have yet to buy a laptop or this semester's books (my FA is still pending) :-[.

Just FYI, my husband works in a college bookstore where students can set up a payment plan if they cannot afford to pay one lump sum for their books right away.  I don't know if your bookstore does this, or if it's an option for you, but it can't hurt to ask.